Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I being greedy?
Due to relocating from overseas and a growing family, we opted for a Barrett’s new build home. We purchased it in August 2017. When it rains heavily, the garage always floods as the drive falls towards the garage and the aco can’t cope. It has taken until this month; over 2 years for them to finally sort it. I have been out there at all hours during storms filming the flooding just to prove the issue as 12 months in; Barrett’s still failed to accept there was an issue. To cut a long storey short, I have had to dry out the garage so many times, cars seats have gone mouldy due to damp and 100’s and emails bad calls to finally sort it.
Barrett’s eventually accepted their conduct has been appalling and we now have another Aco to share the flow. They have offered £250 compensation. The question is, should I accept it or go for more through a claims court. I’m not greedy nor have I ever threatened such measures before, but it has been such a battle including days off work to meet with 3 drainage contractors, numerous Barrett’s representatives, I just feel as though we deserve more. Thoughts good or bad welcome.

·
Registered
189 Posts
That sounds terrible.
I dont think £250 is enough however sometimes you are better to take the offer forget it happened and move on. Otherwise it could drang on for longer and just cause more stress and aggro. As long as its fixed now.
If car seats are damaged see if they will pay for them to be repaired ?

·
Registered
33,257 Posts
I heard an article on the radio recently that buyers of new-build houses should not assume they only need a valuation survey for their purchase. This was on the basis that they are so badly constructed. I think £250 is derisory compensation for your time and hassle.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you’re right, as much as I believe we would have a chance, life is too short. I’ll go back to them re: the seats.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
They have offered £250 compensation. The question is, should I accept it or go for more through a claims court.
There's an interim approach, which is to write to Barratt Homes itemising actual costs you've suffered, and the hours you've spent in (a) dealing with flooding and (b) chasing them for action, and telling them their offer is inadequate. If they reject that, or fail to reply, write to the Chief Executive enclosing a copy. Do get a friend or two to check the letters, which should be dispassionate, perfectly worded and spelt , and should present (dare I say it) a watertight case.

It won't take you much time, and in the end if you get nowhere, you can accept the two hundred and fifty quid.

Here's where you find out how to contact the CEO if it gets that far...
http://www.ceoemail.com/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts