Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to do a Wiki on this to check, but I mean the Omega B1.

This was a nice, handsome RWD saloon, that was so short-lived - 1994 - 2003. Far worse cars have lived much longer than the Omega did.

The car hire firm I use had them and, from a comfort perspective, they offered no less than the (iffy) Mercedes W211s they also had at the time. There was something endearingly old-age-meets-new-age about the Omega - a modern car, but with rwd and often with a powerful petrol engine, at time when such a such a set up was increasingly frowned upon. It was Opel's Alfa 75 :)

I miss the Omega. Miss seeing them, miss being taxied around in them, miss the set up.

There's always the Vauxhall Adam I guess. Ho hum :)

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Nope. I'd happily roll around in a 3.2 mv6 estate. An ex-police one with a manual box and lsd would suit my needs perfectly. I always liked Vauxhall's attempts at big cars.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Had two Carltons, one pictured in my gallery, driven loads of Omega's and Senators:thumbup:

·
Registered
38,300 Posts
I was never a fan of the Omega styling, but I liked the idea of a big engine and rear wheel drive without the price premium that you pay for BMW/Mercedes.

I am not a huge fan of Vauxhall/opel, in fact the majority of them I hate with a passion, but their big rear wheel drive efforts were pretty decent, especially when compared to Fords offerings.

I went to look at a GSi3000 Carlton once with intention of buying it, but on the way home we stopped and looked at a 3.0 Alfa 164 and my head was turned....

The rest as they say is Geography.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I was half tempted to buy an Omega estate to tow my boat trailer about, until I realised I need to be getting rid of cars, not buying more. Good motors.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
I can't say I'm pining for them, or even occasionally sobbing quietly into an espresso as I ponder their passing.

However they were pretty decent for the time. Useful power, good size and comfortable at sub premium pricing - cheaper still used- what's not to like apart from the badge?

They must've been fairly bombproof for the motorway police to use them for so long too.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I remember a pal who worked for a local Vauxhall dealer bringing a Senator Coupe home on one occasion. That was OK and kind of inspired me to look at an Opel Manta and eventually buying a one.

Otherwise it was just a big barge motorway cruiser.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Wanna' see an old pic of my old PC Viscount3.3 Cresta Powerglide again? :vs_laugh: No, I thought not. :D

Lutonian by birth, so....HA Viva, HB Viva,HB Victor Estate,all owned around the sixties, and the PC 3.3 in the seventies.

Then switched to Jags Din I? ;) :):

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Wanna' see an old pic of my old PC Viscount3.3 Cresta Powerglide again? :vs_laugh: No, I thought not. :D

Lutonian by birth, so....HA Viva, HB Viva,HB Victor Estate,all owned around the sixties, and the PC 3.3 in the seventies.

Then switched to Jags Din I? ;) :):
Another pal had a 3.3 Victor.. We were just 18 and had cars like that! Well they did, I had a lowly MKIII Cortina 1.6L, I did swap the motor for a mega 98bhp 2 litre 'mill' though! :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts