Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
They are seriously cool I agree. The drophead version is even nicer.

I know someone who works there, I'll ask him to sneak one out of the back gate like they did at Standard Triumph in the '70s.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,745 Posts
that is a fine, dignified looking motor car, that's for sure. A gentleman's carriage :)

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
I first saw a TE21 when I was about 7 years old, ever since I've had a hankerin to own one, love the lines and looks and everything about it . :thumbs:

·
Registered
448 Posts
My dad had an Alvis, though I don't know which model. Unfortunately he sold it just before he married my mum, and I never got to see it.

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
I think it looks like the speed 20, but with a ducks back rear, it was a lot bigger and more substantial than the 12/50 :D

Maybe a speed 20 with a special coach work?

·
Registered
22,760 Posts
I'd go for the Fighter T, but I am a bit of a scoundrel....

With a kerb weight of just 1595 kg (52% on rear wheels) and a drag factor reduced to 0.225 by a new rear wake diffuser, performance is simply breathtaking. The Fighter T has a potential maximum speed of more than 270 mph, although this has been electronically limited to a more than sufficient 225 mph at only 4500rpm. 0 to 60 mph takes less than 3.5 seconds.

• All aluminium 8 litre V10.
  • 9.3:1 compression ratio.
  • Two ball bearing water cooled turbochargers with intercooling, uprated engine internals.
  • High flow cylinder heads with high lift camshaft.
  • High capacity cooling system and catalysts.
  • Free flow exhaust with side of car exits.
  • Output 127 bhp per litre.
  • 1,012 bhp at 5600 rpm.
  • 1,036 lb.ft of torque at 4500 rpm.
  • 6 speed manual gearbox with increased torque capacity.
  • Revised gear ratios to suit torque characteristics.
  • 60 mph in first gear.
  • 49.8 mph at 1000 rpm in 6th gear.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
I think it looks like the speed 20, but with a ducks back rear, it was a lot bigger and more substantial than the 12/50 :D

Maybe a speed 20 with a special coach work?
I've tweaked the photo to make it clearer - I think it's a beetle-back or even just a "normal" rear end, not a ducks back.

As to which model it is, I don't think it's a Speed 20, as the bonnet is too low & Speed 20s had a slight vee shape to the grille. Maybe a Silver Eagle.

I have to admit that I've always been something of an Alvis fan right from my childhood - & that goes as far back as the Grey Lady. Front wheel drive (some with straight-eight engines!) in the 1920s, first production car with an all-syncro gearbox, first British car with independent front suspension were among their innovations . . . & who else built a six-cylinder engine with 108 valve springs? The Rover P6BS was designed by the Alvis design department

Their military vehicles were (& their BAe Systems descendants still are) pretty impressive - so impressive they killed off the car division. . . & then there's the aero-engines.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts