Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... thank god for this one mod to the 156 ...

Now, I know they probably aren't designed as a skid-plate, in the way they are on rally cars, but I shudder to think what the original would have done. Let me elaborate ..

We left the car-park at Milton Keynes Bowl late last night after the Foo Fighters gig ... may be car-park is too good .. we left the "park" where we parked. The route out was the footpath and all was well until we had to rejoin the road. The two cars in front dropped over the kerb and down, but when my 156 when for it there was an almighty "crunch" of metal on concrete and the car almost bottomed out. :eek:

Anyway we couldn't stop there so drove up a bit and around the corner (and parked behind the broken down Audi ;) . Too dark to see but no fluids and no strange noises .. phew ... so carried on. Steering and everything else was fine, so I assumed the undertray took the brunt of the force.

Now travelling back through Princes Risborough at around 12:30am we had just passed the Esso garage and the car in front drove over something .. I couldn't swerve to avoid it as there was a car coming the other way, and the car behind would have tail-ended me if I'd tried to stop. So made sure it was between the wheels ...

Just before the inevitable bang, I noticed what looked like a large industrial caster wheel ... the kind you see on large trolleys - bigger than a shopping trolley. :rant:

2nd whack of the night ... :cry:

... but again no damage to the running gear. PHEW!

A quick look when I got home shows a big dent on the passenger side where the under tray is vented ... just below the gearbox. Also a big gouge in the ali tray where the wheel, or more probably the mounting bolt, hit.

Without the ali tray? Probably a smashed gearbox or sump or, given the two "hits", both!!! Next time it's off, I'll try and take some pics before a try and flatten it back out and reshape it!! Hoping to have a better look later ...

Oh and the gig ... awesome. Guests on stage last night: Seasick Steve and John Paul Jones, with Dave Grohl on drums.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The FF effect? The God that is Grohl? :lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts