Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
El, my dad had a 1984 Giulietta with a race spec engine built by Serge Damseaux that utilized race jetted 45mm carbs. That car could run like hell. The only problem was the carbs never stayed in tune and idle quality was not always very good. The reason was the aluminium carb mounts. They allowed the carbs to vibrate to such an extent that they became unbalanced between services to the point that they had to be adjusted every 5000km, and the vibrations caused fuel metering problems as well, when the needle valve wore into a concave shape because of transferred vibrations. Later they were replaced by 45mm carb rubbers (My dad got them from a Lotus owner) and the carb strut was refitted and the carb problems went away.

Just a little warning...

Between 1977 and 1988 my dad owned a '77 Alfetta, '79 Giulietta, '84 giulietta and in 1986 he scored a brand new unsold '85 Giulietta Exec. None of them ever gave carb issues except the '84 car when it had aluminium mounts.

Between the two carbs is a bracket called a "Carb support strut" which holds the carbs in place and eliminates stress on the carb mounts. If this carb strut is not in place then the carb mounts will fail. If it is in place then you will never have carb mount issues. It is actually disappointing to notice how even some of the best Nord tuners leave this simple device out when servicing or rebuilding an engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Explanation on Alfaholics website. By now probably thousands of people have them. Thanks for the information about the carb stay, Ian. As if nobody knew what it was for .

What I said in Jan 2011 to someone else fitting aftermarket filters: "You should also make a stabiliser bar to keep the carbs from shaking around too much. Not doing so will eventually destroy your rubber mounts as well as petrol being shaken a bit inside the carbs. My mechanic made an aluminium one which runs across both carbs and is attached by the screws on the carbs themselves as well as to the carb stay coming from the block."

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/showthread.php?p=3878481

No need to lecture me on anything Nord related.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts