Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 GT jts 16V. I haven't driven it for 4 months. Started it after charging battery and the aux belt started to smoke so I shut it off. Long story short, guy wants to buy it and insisted on a quick test drive( he said he was a mechanic and belt would be ok). Drives 100 meters, parks car and belt snaps from heat. So we check the pulleys, all o.k except alternator clutch pulley is seized. Question is...is it cust the pulley bad or the alternator...shouldn't I be able to spin the pulley if alternator is o.k. or if the alternator bearings are seized why doesn't the pulley spin? Also, how does it get so seized up in 4 months. It ran fine when I parked it 4 months ago.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
The clutch pulley should still rotate the alternator if spun by hand even if clutch is seized. The clutch part just allows it to freewheel under certain conditions. If you either lick centre shaft with a torx bit t50 from memory or hold fan with a screwdriver the puller should freewheel anti clockwise

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't get either to move. Tried to pound on both to free something up. Tried channel lock on the pulley and nothing turns? What's up? After only 4 months? Can't get in there with any tools!

·
Registered
589 Posts
The alternator is seized & needs to be replaced.

Sometimes a foreign object can get into the alternator and jam it up, bearings can seize solid, throw a winding, ect ect.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Is JTS meant to have a clutch pulley?
My JTS is on its 3rd alternator so I don't know if genuine one has clutch.

·
Registered
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.8TS
329 Posts
Is JTS meant to have a clutch pulley?
My JTS is on its 3rd alternator so I don't know if genuine one has clutch.
No, it doesn't - it just has a one-way bearing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts