Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the alternator went on my 166 really weird stuff happened as the voltage dropped on the battery. First the battery light on the dashboard came on and then flickered off again after a few miles and then flicked on and stayed on this time. I was about forty miles from the house so thought I might just make it back before the battery died. No such luck. Within 30 mins of the light coming on every light started to illuminate.

First the airbag light came on, then the abs light, then the ics said there was insufficient voltage to power the climate control, then the vdc light came on until the dashboard looked like a christmas tree. Finally a press of the brakes at a junction and everything died.

AA diagnosed alternator failure and fair play to the AA guy he fitted a fully charged battery and connected up a booster pack and followed me home then removed his battery and I charged mine back up and off to the garage I went.

The alternator was well and truly kaput so the garage sent it away to be fully reconditioned with nearly every component renewed/changed. The alternator on my 166 was a Bosch unit so fairly easy to repair according to the repairer.

What really suprised me was the way the car did not like even the slightest drop in voltage and how the 166 is totally reliant on a healthy flow of current at all times to keep electronic systems working. To be fair though, the car is nearly 11 years old now and if your alternator does give up the ghost it can be repaired fairly easily.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 166 did the same and also lit up with some strange errors on the screen... I also had an RAC chap hookup a battery and follow me back home. Following advice on here, I bought biggest battery with a decent crank rating that I could find and had the alternator sorted at Pro Alfa in watford. Has been no problem since then.

Irritatingly this happened only a week after buying the car and getting a major service done...

·
Registered
460 Posts
i'm with you... mine (156 GTA - 2002) died just yesterday evening on the motorway... first i had an engine power drop, then the ABS warning light showed up, then the ASR... though i could exit and make it back home, but few seconds later the airbag light came up, followed by the EBD warning, also telling to stop and shut the engine..
i was able to park on the side of the motorway and wait for assistance.. unfortunately i had no such service as you, i was simply picked up and the car dropped out of the motorway... car picked up today morning by the Alfa service, and will start to check it this afternoon... their guess: alternator kaput

It's quite "scary" how this happens without any warning and so suddenly, and how you are forced to stop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts