Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a delayed journey home from Beaulieu tonight due to alternator issues on the GT :(

AA came, diagnosed sticky or worn alternator brush packs (car hardly gets used).

With the engine running, gave it a few bashes with a long pole & the voltage output went up.

Charged the battery to get us the 68 miles home but the battery symbol on.

Mid journey it all cleared up. Weird. Will get it booked into local garage to get it checked but anyone know if service packs are available for the alternator & what sort of job it is difficulty wise?

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Certainly on the 156 GTA the job is a pig. Not sure on the service pack but the cost of a new or reconditioned one is high :(

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Certainly on the 156 GTA the job is a pig. Not sure on the service pack but the cost of a new or reconditioned one is high :(
Same underneath, hence me posting it in here:cry:

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
We've had a spate of alternator failures on the Busso cars (GTs and GTAs) here in Australia the past 12 months. My GT voltage regulator failed, and the car was only 5 yrs old at the time with under 30K km's travelled. The only time I've been left stranded by the side of the road in any car.

I believe the front suspension subframe needs to be removed to access the alternator, hence a time consuming job, then need a wheel alignment afterwards.

:)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Si it'll be the diode pack on the alternator. really common. It'll get repaired and recon'd and it'll be fine. Pig to remove but it can be done :)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Typical it's a biatch of a job. Does a new alternator come with all the bits or are they seperate?

·
Registered
597 Posts
New alternator comes with everything just make sure that you get the correct one. There are a couple of different ones listed and the lucas one that I fitted first to my GTA was not up to the job!

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
yes I've seen that a few times

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,043 Posts
Had a delayed journey home from Beaulieu tonight due to alternator issues on the GT :(

AA came, diagnosed sticky or worn alternator brush packs (car hardly gets used).

With the engine running, gave it a few bashes with a long pole & the voltage output went up.

Charged the battery to get us the 68 miles home but the battery symbol on.

Mid journey it all cleared up. Weird. Will get it booked into local garage to get it checked but anyone know if service packs are available for the alternator & what sort of job it is difficulty wise?

Cheers,
I did suggest changing while the engine was out as it is a common fault and the easiest way of changing it is to drop the engine out again.

Also a note to others: Bosch list a recondition alternator for the GTA part number 0986041280 this will fit but does not charge correctly the part number that must be used is 0124515087

Ned

·
Registered
71 Posts
Had to get mine changed last year. Local garage sourced a replacement for £150 which wasn't bad considering.

The bit that hurt was the £430 to fit it! Don't think they will be too keen to do another either :)

C

·
0 Posts
Not a bad price considering the amount of work involved - I'd take the engine out to do it!

C

·
0 Posts
It is much easier to just take the the subframe out:)
John
And the steering rack off and rag the exhaust manifold out of the way then swear at it a bit more then wonder why the exhaust rattles, why pipes that shouldn't chafe 6 months later and why the power steering oil cooler pipes don't fit very well in that bracket on the front engine mount?

Using a lift I can have an engine out, repaired (call it an hour to change an alternator or clutch) and back in again in and running in around 9-10 hours now.

But I recognise that people have different ways of working and this is just the way I feel is best as IMO it minimises collateral damage.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Just looking at the voltage regulator for this alternator is only £25 is this the part that fails? Or is it something else requiring a new unit.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Just did a bit of research and it is internal so in any case even if this is the failure still have to replace the whole unit. If sent off for refurb and this is the only fault it will be replaced but still get charged alot due to labour so to answer my own question this part is not a cheap alternative to fix an alternator.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
You do Not need to move the rack etc the alternater comes out by just easing the engine forward a tad
taking the engine out is a waste of your time and the customers money ! If you are being charged more than 5 hours you are being RIPPED off :mad: You have been warned.

John

1 - 20 of 32 Posts