Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an unusual problem regarding em interference in my 159 I'm hoping someone can help me cure - please:ermm:

I have just bought a pair of hearing aids that are bluetooth enabled and they're working fine (which is just as well, as this is a car forum after all and not a medical one - but I digress), but this is my problem - they are picking up interference in the form of an engine speed related whine. As the car is a 1.9JTDm, I'm assuming the source of the interference is the alternator as its a continuous sound in the hearing aids that increases in volume with engine revs, not frequency so probably not injector relay related.

I'm guessing that I need to suppress the alternator to a greater degree than it is as standard, so can anyone give me any pointers as to what size capacitor I should add, where I can get one and where and how it should be installed??

Thanks in advance for any info :classic:

Bernie

EDIT: I've been looking into this a bit further and realise now that its probably not related to bluetooth at all, its more likely the T-Coil (audio coil) facility of the hearing aids picking up the interference. As its more likely to be an end feed signal, I'm going to try some ferrite beads on the wiring adjacent the alternator. Let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I have an unusual problem regarding em interference in my 159 I'm hoping someone can help me cure - please:ermm:

I have just bought a pair of hearing aids that are bluetooth enabled and they're working fine (which is just as well, as this is a car forum after all and not a medical one - but I digress), but this is my problem - they are picking up interference in the form of an engine speed related whine. As the car is a 1.9JTDm, I'm assuming the source of the interference is the alternator as its a continuous sound in the hearing aids that increases in volume with engine revs, not frequency so probably not injector relay related.

I'm guessing that I need to suppress the alternator to a greater degree than it is as standard, so can anyone give me any pointers as to what size capacitor I should add, where I can get one and where and how it should be installed??

Thanks in advance for any info :classic:

Bernie

EDIT: I've been looking into this a bit further and realise now that its probably not related to bluetooth at all, its more likely the T-Coil (audio coil) facility of the hearing aids picking up the interference. As its more likely to be an end feed signal, I'm going to try some ferrite beads on the wiring adjacent the alternator. Let you know how it goes!
Ok guys, ignore this thread :embarrassed:

I've confirmed its the T-coil setting on my hearing aids that are catching the interference, 'cos when I lift the bonnet the whole engine is shouting at me in a load of different flavours of interference!! It was then I found that it was possible to switch off T-coil mode on the aids :censored: :banghead:

All you other other hearing challenged owners can learn by my dumbness!
I'll go now.....:paperbag:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts