Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had to have mine replaced at a cost of over £400 including labour. The cause was that on early Mito models, the windscreen drainage channel drips water onto the Alternator eventually causing failure. Alfa are so aware of this fault, that on later models they have added a rubber pipe to take water right through the engine bay onto the road. This pipe only costs £11 and is available to buy and fit to earlier models - needless to say I had this done. Has anyone else experienced Alternator failure without apparent cause?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Service news back in 2010 for that very fault.
I guess not all dealers took notice of it.

My 2010 which was supplied in April '10, a good couple of months or so after they become aware of the issue, didn't have the pipes reversed. It would have taken the dealer what, 2 minutes, to swap the pipes when they had it?

IMO, if your car has had a service at an Alfa dealer after ~Feb 2010, or had been back after then for warranty work, Alfa should be covering the cost of this, as its a known issue and they were aware of a fix which should have been applied.

·
Registered
12,555 Posts

My 2010 which was supplied in April '10, a good couple of months or so after they become aware of the issue, didn't have the pipes reversed. It would have taken the dealer what, 2 minutes, to swap the pipes when they had it?

IMO, if your car has had a service at an Alfa dealer after ~Feb 2010, or had been back after then for warranty work, Alfa should be covering the cost of this, as its a known issue and they were aware of a fix which should have been applied.
:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts

Totally agree. I phoned Alfa/Fiat and pestered them on behalf of several MiTo and Grande Punto owners at the time who were suffering from this because the response was differing between dealers. If I remember correctly it seemed to rear its head on both models over the same Winter (even though the Grande Punto had been launched a few years earlier) presumably because we had a particularly cold spell which caused the water to freeze in the alternators.

At first it seemed weird that the Grande Punto could've escaped the problem for around 3 years but I don't think we'd had weather quite that cold for that long in the few years the GP had been on sale & it just so happened that it turned very cold over the MiTo's first winter on sale in the UK.

Fiat/Alfa seemed pretty coordinated about it at the time and assured me the service bulletin would be re-issued to all dealers to answer my concern that different dealers were giving different advice. Some people had the revised drain pipes fitted by the dealers, others bought the pipes and fitted them themselves, but I'd not heard anything much about this again until now.

I would therefore echo what Bri_Y says above - if it's been serviced by an Alfa dealer since early 2010 when the issue arose, I'd be asking Alfa or the dealer to foot the bill because the dealer really should check for outstanding updates whenever you take the car to them - otherwise there's no point using a main dealer & one could save themselves a fortune by using a competent independent instead.

The original (lengthy) thread is here http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-mito/201767-beware-mito-owners-freezing-weather-causing-belt-failures.html

·
Registered
34 Posts
A word of warning.

I bought my 2010 Mito six months ago, it had 10k on it and two main dealer stamps. It also had the pipe fitted to allow water draining from the windscreen scuttle to by-pass the alternator. Unfortunatley, the incompetent 'technician' had fitted the pipe in such a way that it actually deposited all the water directly on top of the alternator!!!

So take the time to make sure that the pipe is directed towards the passengers side of the vehicle!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gents,

I think I have had the same problem with my 2010 Mito. How would I know if this retrofit pipe had been fitted?

My car was serviced by an Alfa main dealer in Belfast in March 2011 so this job should have been done! Unfortunately, Alfa rationalised their dealers in N.Ireland down to one and the dealer who did the service is no longer the Alfa dealer...

I got the car for a very good price so am not bothered if I have to spend a few quid on a new alternator but I want to be sure that the water problem is sorted to avoid future problems...

Cheers,

Al

1 - 8 of 8 Posts