Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Alternator fault?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Clay19 
#1 ·
Happy Saturday everyone.

Well, not so much for me at the minute because I can’t use my car in fear of a breakdown.
Let me explain. Yesterday I got out of work early to go to the dentist.
On the way I splashed the car across a huge puddle, got to the dentist and they had the wrong shade of tooth veneer. So a waste of an appointment and I’ve waited all feb for my tooth to be fixed.
Now today it would appear my alternator has broke. Yesterday about two hours after the dentist I noticed a sudden burning plastic smell, I wasn’t to sure if a bag had go stuck to my exhaust or it was just in the atmosphere. I took the car to my grease monkey friend and told him what I could smell wanting him to look at it.
He must have thought I was being a hypochondriac about the Brera as he knows what I’m like with cars. Any sudden change in a cars behaviour and I’m on his back worried for the car.
Today I had a poke around and did the usually essential checks, I could not see anything a miss, so then started the engine.
A battery symbol came on the dash normally where the orangey type of P symbol usually displays on the dash for faulty parking help.

I then checked the battery with the engine off 12.5v on the volt meter. Now with the engine on ( with lights and air con on ) 12.0v
Which tells me it’s the alternator.

Does anyone know where to buy one, or is it worth me just having my refurbed?

Thanks Clay..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
I got a reconditioned Lucas one from eBay about a year ago. It worked out to be about £170, although if you're going to do the job yourself be prepared for how much of a pain in the ass it is to release the tensioner and also the stretch belt for the power steering - I'd also replace them whilst you're at it.

#3 ·
got mine from autodoc, with a belt, delivered for 200.
it did take a a week to come though. if you want it next day, you can't beat alfashop, 230.
my indy said it is the worse job to do on a 159/brera

#4 ·
Thanks for those reply’s with advice.

I have seen this one but I feel I’m going to have to message the seller in order to verify part numbers first as it seems too low priced in comparison to other sellers prices

#5 ·
It turned out to be the alternator. The genuine Denso alternator ( part number 50502479 ) was found on eBay for £112. It was a bit of a job just to fit an alternator but a friend price of £120 labour put it right.

I did well as europarts wanted £355 for the alternator alone.

Happy Saturday now I have transport. What a pain when you’re used to having a car, just getting to work was a task alone

#7 ·
I still have it for now, but it is sold for £1,500 to a work colleague. Because it’s been stood for 3 months it was flat. Got the car running 5 miles later an engine light came on, hoping it’s just one of the coils.

#10 ·
Yes my belt was spinning. I’m currently using the same belt that is now 13 years old and is still going strong.
The same thing happened to my wife’s Range Rover about two years ago. Her burning smell was very similar to mine. ( didn’t smell electrical or rubberised ) It could easily be mistaken for someone having a garden fire somewhere close by

If your belt isn’t snapped and doesn’t spin I’d be suspecting a seized pulley somewhere on the driven belt area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.