Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had an alternator failure at the weekend. Since delivering it to Gonellas in Catford they've quoted me £500 for the alternator and £550 +vat for labour, which in my view is taking the p..s. Does anyone know of a good mechanic ideally knowledgeable with alfas in SE London who can quote me a sensible price. Thx

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
8,335 Posts
Its a big job to get it out of there....next to no space......think the subframe has to come down if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its a big job to get it out of there....next to no space......think the subframe has to come down if I remember correctly.
Yep you're right. Three alfa garages I've used in the past have said the same. One went into some detail about the procedure. Not a nice job. I've got my original quote down to £600 inc vat (I'm sourcing the alternator) ....... alternators should be an easy job, but clearly not for Alfa.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I had mine done a few weeks ago. It's a 2.2, but I can't imagine the alternator being any different. Mine was £300 and then £100 to fit.

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
8,335 Posts
I had mine done a few weeks ago. It's a 2.2, but I can't imagine the alternator being any different. Mine was £300 and then £100 to fit.
Very different...a lot more space around the alternator on the 2.2 and you don't need to drop the subframe to get it out.

·
Registered
Alfetta GTV6 supercharged racer, Alfa 159 3.2 awd Ti, Alfetta 2000 sedan
121 Posts
From what I've been told by my mechanics on a V6 159/Brera it is a major job as engine subframe has got to be removed

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've managed to source a very well priced alternator (OEM kit with warranty etc.) through the FB group Club S Alfa Romeo, (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/39183462...www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391834622782?ul_noapp=true). Labour is going to be £500 +vat. So I'm looking at spending about £700. All my usual Alfa garages said that this is a nasty job, all the engineers avoid this if possible. Here's hoping it goes well !!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I've finally got the Brera back this morning with the replacement alternator fitted. Gonnelllas highlighted a small problem thought. On first startup the battery warning light comes on which wasn't expected. Switching the car off then back on cures the problem i.e the warning light goes away. Has anyone seen this issue before. I'm hoping that after a long run it'll cure itself, but can't be sure. Any thoughts guys ??

·
Registered
287 Posts
I had the battery light on my 2.2JTS and had the same symptoms - the light going off when restarting the engine. If you give it a little beans, just over 2K RPM, then the light will most likely come on again.

Alternator replacement sorted this out for me, good excuse to change both PS & AUX belts whilst they're off on the plus side.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the battery light on my 2.2JTS and had the same symptoms - the light going off when restarting the engine. If you give it a little beans, just over 2K RPM, then the light will most likely come on again.

Alternator replacement sorted this out for me, good excuse to change both PS & AUX belts whilst they're off on the plus side.
This is happening to the replacement alternator that was fitted. I just hope this doesn't mean that the replacement unit is duff.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Did they fit the correct alternator for the 3.2V6 though?

If the wrong model/spec Alternator is fitted it can cause this issue, seen it happen before.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
That is correct what bazzbazz said. If the part number isn’t the same as the one on the original alternator ( even though it fits ), then it’ll fail to charge the battery up.
That’s easy to figure out though by just connecting a vault meter to the battery terminals whilst it’s running to see if it’s around 14.5. And 12.5 before an engine start.

You also may have to clear any fault codes for the CAN bus system to communicate with the modules

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks bazzbazz and Clay19. I'll be double checking the part number with the original and taking it to a local auto electrician. I'll have a word with them about clearing any fault codes too. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
That’s easy to figure out though by just connecting a vault meter to the battery terminals whilst it’s running to see if it’s around 14.5.
Jumping to conclusions there Clay :rofl:

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Non comprende Ken.

Unless it was a pun with the words “jump” and “Battery” in an Alan Partridge sort of way?

·
Administrator
Alfa 159 1.9 JTDm Sportwagon
6,015 Posts
Vault or volt...

Reactions: Ken
1 - 18 of 18 Posts