Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am struggling to find the recommended Tutela power steering oil here in Tunisia. I have found a local garage selling this stuff:

https://www.europaparts.com/power-steering-fluid-06162-febi-bilstein.html

Will that do for a top up for my 3.2 159? It only needs a splash......

If not, is there another alternative that might be easily available out here (eg something from shell, castrol etc?). I am not sure what the key "spec" is that I can look for as an alternative so any help on that would also be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! No luck today finding that around here either though. May have to go to the big smoke!

If anyone has any other suggestions that would be great

cheers

·
Registered
28 Posts
if its chf11s then you should be able to get that anywhere...Its a standard off the shelf power steering fluid. Someone like comma will supply it..

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
You can always pop into a bmw dealership. They use it a lot. Bought a top up last time from them because my automotive store ran out of stock

Hopefully these pics will help you spot them in stores. Comes in plastic or tin

Attachments

·
Registered
30,170 Posts
Loads of CHF around.
The "CHF" being the key, rather than "Power Steering".

VW (and the rest of the VAG Group) have used the Green CHF for years, as have Porsche, etc.
Shouldn't be difficult to find it.
Their spec has changed from "CHF 11S" to "CHF 202". No idea which is closest to the original Tutela GI/R though.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Thats interesting. I wonder what changed...

That said i just walked into bmw and said i want some chf11s and bam there you go sir so perhaps they still have old stock of chf11s or both.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Just read up a bit. 202 is thicker at cold temps thus reducing power steering whine.

202 also has a higher flash point so i suppose it does not overheat easily.

Conundrum indeed as i thought the 159 and brera prefer thinner at cold temps so that it can work properly and dont break.
But then again the ps fluid also overheats easily when these cars are pushed which means the 202 will hold up better there again.....Hmmmmm

That said pentosin says they are fully compatible and can be mixed so if you can only find 202 then it wont be a trainsmash.

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
I recently bought 'Fuchs titan 4300 B Synthetic Fluid' to renew the Tutela GI/R that is currently in the car. The Fuchs PAS fluid is Green and the main thing is its Fully synthetic. Thats the main difference between the old red fluid some of the earlier 159 had from the factory which was non-synthetic. So, if you go for a fully synthetic green fluid that has similar approvals you should be fine.

See full data sheet below:
http://www.generaloils.net/PI_TITAN-ZH-4300_B_e.pdf

You appear to be in South Africa. See contact details below:
http://www.fuchsoil.co.za/contact/

·
Registered
30,170 Posts
Still no joy......

nobody has anything but generic bottles of "power steering fluid".......
What is the spec on those?

Pentosin CHF 11S is VW "TL 52 146.00"
Pentosin CHF 202 is VW "TL 52 146.01"

I would have thought the VAG group spec would be widely quoted on fluids the meet the spec.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No Benzina - I currently live in a fairly small town in Tunisia - no dealerships or approved workshops or halfords - just small grimy workshops and little parts shops. I am going to peru next week so maybe I'll find some there......

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is the spec on those?

Pentosin CHF 11S is VW "TL 52 146.00"
Pentosin CHF 202 is VW "TL 52 146.01"

I would have thought the VAG group spec would be widely quoted on fluids the meet the spec.
Ahhh lovely thanks v much. This is the kind of thing I need at this juncture - trying to match specs on bottles of what is available rather than looking for brands that aren't!

will note these down and go on a final round tomorrow! thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi ,

I've been through the same situation in the past , and I made many researches because here in France I wasn't able to get my hands on the famous Tutela GI/R .
I found almost the same specifications in other brands (of course by comparing all the tests and data sheets ) ,you can verify my work :)

Products Specification
Agip CHF
Castrol CHF
Fuchs TITAN ZH 4300 B, TITAN ZH 3044
Pentosin CHF 11S, CHF 202
Petronas Tutela GI/R, Tutela CS Speed
Selenia Tutela GI/R, Tutela CS Speed
Texaco PSF 9109
Total Fluide LDS (this one has the same specs or maybe better but Orange not green)
Unil-Opal LDA
Motul MULTI HF (the one I bought )

I hope my researches are helpful ,

good luck weld bledi :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi ,

I've been through the same situation in the past , and I made many researches because here in France I wasn't able to get my hands on the famous Tutela GI/R .
I found almost the same specifications in other brands (of course by comparing all the tests and data sheets ) ,you can verify my work :)

Products Specification
Agip CHF
Castrol CHF
Fuchs TITAN ZH 4300 B, TITAN ZH 3044
Pentosin CHF 11S, CHF 202
Petronas Tutela GI/R, Tutela CS Speed
Selenia Tutela GI/R, Tutela CS Speed
Texaco PSF 9109
Total Fluide LDS (this one has the same specs or maybe better but Orange not green)
Unil-Opal LDA
Motul MULTI HF (the one I bought )

I hope my researches are helpful ,

good luck weld bledi :)
LOL aychuk ye khoya!

Nice one this is really useful thanks very much. There is a total garage in town - they only have their own brand stuff (made under licence in Algeria) so I didn't consider it, but will today check if it's "Fluide LDS"

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Just been to my Alfa dealer (HWM) and they had Petronas Tutela GI/R. Cost me £12.96 (Inc VAT).

Halfords, Euro Car Parts and an Independant all had "suitable for CHF 11S & CHF 202" but not a defined spec on the bottle. So I guess from these words they don't meet any spec!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With those VW refs provided by David I was finally able to track down a bottle of something that seems compatible.

VW Central Hydraulic Fluid with ref G 004 000 M2. It's green.

Thanks very much guys. Unfortunately the noise persists so it's time to order that new pump I think!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts