Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I'm still dithering over a new head unit for my GT (Selespeed, with BOSE), and came across this:

Audio 66: Alpine CDE-104BTi Car Entertainment CDE104BTi

On the plus side it has AAC and Bluetooth (via Parrot) built in. iPod control & front USB-in. Alpine are meant to have a good rep although I was seriously considering a Pioneer HU until the one I wanted was discontinued :confused:

Anyone care to back up my positive feelings about this purchase?
Cheers

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
alpine have always been built to a high standard of quality: build quality and sound quality. they are not the best value on the market, but what i do like about alpine is the reassurance of buying into good quality (granted, like any brand, they have the occasional (rare) faulty product that i hear about), good aftersales service (if you're buying a proper alpine-UK product, not grey import), and a full range of accessories/products that are designed to integrate together. having said that, the 104BTi is quite fully loaded like you've seen.

the only issue (if you call it that) is that the low level RCA preouts are only '2V' (as opposed to 4V or higher). these may be too low in strength to push the Bose amp to high volume. as such, you may be forced to rely on the high level speakerwire outputs: the sound quality is not quite as good, and these may be the other extreme: too powerful (ie: it may be extremely loud with a volume setting of only 10 out of 35 and each increment creates a big change of volume).

normally, with an aftermarket amp, you could adjust its sensitivity to suit the signal strength from the headunit. but the Bose is not adjustable; it is set up to match the factory headunit. i figure its signal output is more like 4~6V at full volume.

last point, is to visit a store and ensure your phone is fully compatible. there can be some limitations, like phone book access, or how long it takes to synch.

overall, it is good. but not perfect. btw, i am not in the ICE industry, but i have used alpine for years and years, and have followed their range over this time.

:)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I got the Alpine fitted during the week, it's absolutely wicked! Bluetooth with my work Blackberry and USB all working very nicely. Haven't tried the iPod connection yet but will.

You were right about the volume increments though shiny. At about 9, it's pretty loud, and each notch is a big jump. Not too bothered though as I usually drive the car more or less on my own to work and back.

I guess the only thing that isn't quite as expected is that I don't think you can change the colour of the display. The buttons light up blue which isn't a brilliant match for the red lights of the GT interior.

But whatever, it's money well spent. Anyone with the standard GT head unit I would recommend getting it upgraded if you're into your tunes. Such a big difference!

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
sounds like a great result. enjoy.

:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts