Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am having a problem with my Alpine CHM -S630 cd changer there was an error on the head unit then it has suddenly died.
The button in the cd changer does not work.
Does it have its own fuse the head unit is working fine.
Is there a simple way to remove the cd's in the unit I notice 1 cd is still engaged with the drive.
If the changer is perminatly dead is there another unit that would fit straight in.
2001 156 Sportwagon the conector is a DIN type
Thanks

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
there's no fuse in the CD changer. power just feeds directly through the M-bus (DIN) cable.

either the CD changer has become faulty, or perhaps the cable is damaged (eg: squashed or rubbing on sharp edge)? if you are up to it, you could use a multimeter and do continuity testing for each pin, to ensure none are disrupted/broken. or replace the cable.

these are Alpine's older version of CD changer, using the 'M-bus' interface. but the UK Alpine distributor should be able to test it if you wish. alternatively, if you want to take a punt, you could try and find a secondhand one cheaply, say on ebay. any CD changer that is M-bus will be compatible; the model number will have an 'M', as in CHM (eg: CHM-S611, CHM-S620, CHM-S630). they aren't worth much, cos they are obsolete technology (though obviously fine for a factory setup!).

:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
Does the cable plug directly into the head unit and are the 2 holes in the front for unlocking the unit. If they are do they need a special tool or the useual steel rods.

An interesting feature was when I took out the cd unit the transit keys were still in place.
Thanks again

·
7,713 Posts
yes, the connection is either directly into the back of the headunit, or onto the end of a short flylead. either way, the headunit needs to be removed.

from what you describe, yes, the holes are for 'keys' to push in, which then push aside metal locking tabs. you can try using metal rods or cut up a metal coathanger.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi. I thought I would let you know how things went with my cd changer.
I took the changer to The Repair Centre, Christchurch, Dorset who will give an estimate for a repair with no charge if you don’t have the job done. They tested the cd changer and it was OK.
So I removed the head unit an Alpine 932 and checked each wire in the lead to the changer. I found they were all OK apart from the power. So I thought it would be easier to find a live in the boot then feed a new cable through the car.
Being a sportswagon the cigar lighter is just above the cd changer only live with the ignition on but that should do.
I carefully striped back the insulation on the cable and found the brown cable that was connected to the power at the head unit.
I joined a wire from the cigar lighter and soldered it to the brown wire.
As a final check I tested the pins at the plug before I joined it to the CD changer.
To my surprise I found there was still no power on the correct pin but power on the next pin where the wire was yellow at the head unit.
I checked the rest of the wires and found a completely different set of colours to the front of the car.
This had to mean there was a join in the lead somewhere. I found it under the back seat. I plugged the changer onto the lead under the seat and it worked fine.
I removed the old lead and a bit surprised to find about 3 meters of lead coiled under the rear seat. I ordered a new lead from eBay fitted it in and everything is back working. Slightly better than before since having removed the transit screws the cd doesn’t jump when I hit a bump.
Thanks a lot

·
7,713 Posts
nice work. so you think a previous owner modified the cabling for some reason?!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts