Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspect the results are somewhat reversed in the UK....

====================

Hamilton unpopular in Spain

Wed 05 Dec, 08:29 AM

British 2007 runner-up Lewis Hamilton has spent much of the post-season period so far collecting prizes and plaudits following his rookie Formula One campaign.

But the 22-year-old is not globally popular, particularly in the country of his controversial former McLaren team-mate Fernando Alonso, a Spanish racing magazine has unsurprisingly found.

The Spanish language publication Grand Prix asked its readers last month to vote on their best driver of the year.

70 percent predictably selected Alonso, the 26-year-old double world champion, while another 25 percent voted for Kimi Raikkonen, who won his first title for Ferrari.

Hamilton, despite only missing the championship on his first attempt by a single point, registered a miniscule 1.8 percent of the vote.

Meanwhile, 43.6 percent said McLaren's treatment of Alonso in 2007 was the season's lowest moment, while 39.1 percent thought his penalty for obstructing Hamilton during Hungary GP qualifying was the worst decision.

Similarly, 23.2 percent selected McLaren's championship exclusion and $100m fine for espionage as the best decision of 2007. An overwhelming 96.4 percent said Ferrari was the season's best team, and the Maranello built F2007 won the best car plaudit.

Half of the respondents, meanwhile, said Ferrari is the ideal team for Alonso's future, ahead of Renault, BMW and Red Bull.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The more I learn about Hamilton the better I like him but I am sure the UK media will turn on him eventually - they always do.
So I hope he is enjoying himself right now which he seems to be. :)

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
:tut: How unsporting :tut:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Yeah... but there's something about the way Macca handled Alonso that cheapened Alonso's prestige. It's like buying Buckingham Palace and turning it into flats, because it increases the value of the building...

It was chronically bad man-management.. and I can see Alonso's gripe.

Don't like him all that much though... (Little Schu' for the second Mac' seat!! :D )

Ralf S.

G

·
I think there is some truth to what Flav said in that he could handle the accusations Alonso made against Renault, if you recall Alonso said "Renault don't want me to win the title" or something like that in 2006. They had their Latin tiff, kissed (yeuk) and made up..and he won the title

In the highly structured and formalised (and slightly fascistic it must be said) world of Mclaren this kind of briefing against the team was never going to be either acceptable or forgiven. Absolute loyalty is demanded, and any dissention is to be thrashed out behind closed doors, and a united face is put before the public gaze. Alonso made a very bad mistake in briefing against the team, lost the confidence of the team, and allowed himself to be psyched up by Hamilton.

I STILL think he could have just got on with it and outdriven Hamilton and taken the title if he had kept his mind on driving an nothing else.

Carloz Sainz and Sevvy Ballesteros both got the grumpies when things didn't go quite their way..its a Spanish thing.

AlfaLincs

G

·
Ah well..you can forgive him that one..its lost him the title didn't it. teach him to drive those unreliable Toyotas then.:lol: :lol: ..Was it 98???it seem like decades ago now. How time whooshes past.

I think we'd have all got a bit of a sad on if it happened to us.

AlfaLincs

·
Registered
7,766 Posts
And rightly so, he's been at the top of his game for years, not just the 5 minutes Hamilton has. I'm sure his turn will come.:)

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Well apparently the Brits don't like Hamilton all that much. Sports personality of the year went to Joe Calzaghe ;)
I think if Hamilton had won the WC he would have won the Sports Personality title. Similarly, if Hatton hadn't allowed that big mouth yank to use his head as a punch bag he would have won. I voted for Hamilton, but I don't begrudge JC's victory :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts