Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

As some of you on here will have the same gearbox I thought I'd ask your opinions. My wifes car is a 2008 1.9cdti VX Astra with the 6 speed 'box (M32 I think) with 81k miles on clock. The car has always been a bit stiff to get in and out of gear, this has not gotten any worse but I noticed when driving it yesterday that there is a whine coming from the front. I'm sure it's not wheel bearing related as I've just had that issue on my own car.

The whine is very similar to diff whine and raises and lowers with speed. I'm not sure at this stage if the whine is affected by which gear is used nor am I sure if it changes when changing gear. I do know the noise has been in the background for a while but yesterday it seemed a little more audible.

What are the symptoms of these 'boxes failing?

thanks

Jonny

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Does sound like a noisy gearbox, guy in work has a vxr and has had problems with his gearbox at low miles, less that 40k which wont of been helped by it being filled with atf fluid.

first thing I'd do with yours is to change the oil for a quality oil, Redline mt90 or Fuchs sitofluid are popular, drain the gearbox oil into a clean container and check it for metal, if its full of glitter then you have a problem

1 - 2 of 2 Posts