Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I remember seeing a post here somewhere on the use of "Varibolts" on OZ wheels. This was ages ago though, but I was hoping someone had any more information on these or were using them.
I have been trying to find a set of alloys that I like that fit the 4x98mm pattern but without much success. These "Varibolts somehow add an extra 1mm on each bolt to bring it up to a more standard 4x100mm fitment.
Does anyone have more info, like if they're any good and any idea who sells these things.
Thanks,

·
Registered
447 Posts
My brother is using them with O.Z. Superturismo alloys and he can't complain about them, he got the bolts from a local dealer who sold him the alloys ;)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

I have these bolts on my OZ superleggera's,
they work fine. The wheels are a 4x100 fitment as they didn't come in 4x98, and the special bolts came with the wheels.
They give you that extra 1mm on each bolt because they have a 'movable collar' on them allowing the bolt to move slightly to effectively become a 4x98 fitment we need. Don't worry they are completely safe despite that description!
When approaching a dealer for OZ or any other wheel that needs these bolts, just tell them the fitment. OZ make these bolts specifically for cars such as ours. It makes sense as the cost to produce a wheel just in the relatively rare 4x98 fitment would obviously be more expensive than just producing some special bolts! Hey presto it opens up a wider audience for their wheels! Other manufacturers do this aswell.
The only problem i found is getting locking wheel bolts to match.

Regards,

A.H

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, yes Alex that was going to be another of my questions - you aren't able to use lock nuts then? I was thinking they were some sort of sleeve upon which you just used normal wheel nuts. But anyway, they sound like a good solution. Let me know if you have any luck finding some lock nuts.
Thanks again,

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Justin,

Yep the locking bolts are a problem, at the moment i'm using the original Alfa locking bolts. Not the ideal solution i know, but they're ok. I've had my wheels for nearly six months now and not had any problems using this method. If going this way just make sure you tighten the other bolts fully first, then the locking one tightly, but not too tight. This was an earlier topic by me, and I think Henry Yorke said he'd got round the problem this way as well, and he'd had his wheels on for 18 months at the time, and not had any problems. However, even though this is a route i've gone, i still wouldn't advocate it. You will of course be better off using the best thing for the job.

I thought i'd found one distributor for these special locks back then; called 'Bigwheels' based in Denmark, this is his e-mail: [email protected] ,he speaks good English as well. Unfortunatly i lost contact with him. I haven't tried him since, maybe you will have more luck?
To be honest i'd forgotten about it, but if you have more success then let me know ok.
Failing that, in the time since, some other manufacturers may have emerged? I'll have a look around as well. Anyone else found any?

Anyway, as i said at the time, i wanted those gorgeous OZ alloys! And wouldn't let a 'silly' thing like this get in the way, i hope you feel the same way Justin!

Btw, the bolts have a fully enclosing collar around the top of the bolt (the bit that moves slightly)not a sleeve. I wish i could post a picture of one, but i don't know how, can someone tell me please?

Regards,

A.H

·
Registered
715 Posts
You can get the bolts from Halfords / Ripspeed. I think Smiths wheels supply them. Yes I use the lockers off a standard wheel, but recently I hit a pot hole and one has snapped in the hub. These bolts have a tendancy to creak a little bit as well.

Remember Susuki Swifts are 4x98 PCD so your choice of 13" wheels are endless!!!!!!!!!!!!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Henry, when you say I can get them from Halfords – do you mean the Varibolts or the lock nuts???

I’m just not getting why there is a problem using standard lock nuts with the Varibolts. Why do they make the original nuts break? Are you saying there is a product specially designed for use with varibolts?

Alex, I’m not sure about the picture post thing myself but by the looks when you hit the grey image button which is listed below the message window in the reply page it asks for a web address. I’m guessing if you have a picture you’d need to post it somewhere, then write the URL for the actual picture eg. Henry Yorke’s signature pic is http://www.hyys10662.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/misc/155.jpg. That is off his own personal website. If you’re really desperate, get a free host, publish your photos to it, and use that.
Someone tell me if I’m wrong or if there is a simpler way of doing it.

Thanks again guys,

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi
I got a set of superleggeras today the vari-bolts came with them from OZ wheels. Beautiful wheels but I'm afraid about someone nicking them and I'm looking for help tracking down some locking wheel nuts?Anybody got any Ideas?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Sentenal,

I have these wheels on my 155 too, and i agree, beautiful wheels. A pig to keep clean though! I posted an email adress above of someone who may be able to help you. I'll give it again : [email protected] based in Denmark, but he speaks good english. I lost contact with him some time ago just after i got my wheels(six months), but try him, he said he had the correct locking bolts to fit. You can use the Original Alfa locking bolts, but most people i spoke to didn't reccomend doing this for too long, although i've had no problems in over six months.

I think Henry means the vari bolts, i've not seen locking vari bolts in Halfords.
The reason the Alfa locking bolts are liable to break (under extreme loads)is because they can't sit perfectly in their location in the 100 pcd wheel. This is because they don't have the collar like on the 'vari bolts'.
The collar part sits in the recess in the wheel where the bolt goes, the bolt itself then moves within this collar 1mm to the side to be able to screw into the thread in the wheel hub.
The key is this movable collar, without it the bolt can't move the extra 1mm it needs to, to be able to effectively make the 100 pcd wheel a 98 pcd.
Any heavy shock (as Henry experienced) may cause the Alfa locking bolt to break because of the extra load it is under. Err, i hope this makes sense! Another way to put it would be to imagine two holes of equal size placed over eachover, now move one of these holes to the side by 1mm. This is what the 100 pcd wheel will look like mounted on a 155 hub.The varibolts make up this difference. If you had normal bolts all round, you'd have to stick them in at 45 degree angles!
Sorry if i've repeated myself. Just hope this clears thing up! I'll try Martin at Bigwheels again, see if he remembers me, and let you guys know. After all i need these locking bolts aswell! Jeez, another long post!
Hope this helps.
btw Sentenal, thanks for the tips! :)

A.H

1 - 9 of 9 Posts