Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed some alloygators into the 18" wheels of my GT. The rears have stayed well put and do a fantastic job of protecting the rim of the wheels.
The fronts kept working their way out from between the tyre bead and the lip of the rims. I managed to keep putting them back in but it was such a pain. Eventually they worked their way right out so I pulled them out before they could cause any damage to the wing, etc.

Still got the rears in as theyre doing fine. My tyres are quite a soft compund and the Alfa rims don't sit flush up the sidewall of the tyres, just their design I guess. I put it down to this that the fronts kept working loose.

Overall, I wouldn't advise getting some alloygators.

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
I wonder why the fronts work loose but not the rears? Something to do with more lateral g's?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've had 2 sets of Alloygators. The first set were grey/silver and worked very well. I admit they looked slightly odd looking at the car from the rear but were almost unnoticeable from the side.
Because they worked so well they got a bit frayed round the edges so I replaced them with a new set of black alloygators. These also looked ok but were a failure on the front wheels, as reported by Philius Maximus, they wouldn't stay in for more than a couple of hundred miles.
The black ones are a different design from the old grey ones, they seem to a slightly different shape in section and have silly little metal grips that have to superglued in. bit of a faff, really.
The upshot is that I dug the old grey ones out from the back of the garage, cleaned them up with a knife, a block plane and some sandpaper and put them back on the wheels where they are now, several thousand miles later.
A complaint on the Alloygator web site brought no response so I'm considering Trading Standards as the black ones are not fit for purpose.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Got them on the 159 and they fit well and have saved their cost a couple of times already. Went for black so they look like the tyre wall...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes, it would!
However, despite tilting the side mirrors down every time I park to ensure I miss the kerb there's always that tilted kerb that you didn't notice!
The real culprit is ones vanity. We all know that the fault lies with the stylists and the manufacturers pandering to our love for "Bling". 18" wheels have no useful function other than to look "nice" or "cool". The 16" wheels on my 156 are 12 years old and have not been kerbed once, the 18" on the GT were kerbed when the car was 2 days old. Let's be honest with ourselves, in normal every day driving the 18" wheels are uncomfortable, prone to damage and contribute nothing to performance or handling. They look good but so does a Pandora bracelet on your girl friend/wife/mistress but they serve no useful purpose.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Dunlop Sportmaxx tyres have rim protectors built into the sidewalls. I might consider some to cover up very minor rim damage caused by previous tyres though.

Nick

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Interesting, as I can now report on my 159 that the front ones seem to creep out as described above. DCM Tyres are very good at refitting them for me but they wondered if it was due to the shape of the wheel and in particular the Accellera tyre?. They showed me a rival tyre which is quite a bit wider, despite being the same size. As described above I wonder if there is more lateral force on a turning wheel at the front and also sidewall movement? Mine have never come right off however....and have paid for themselves quite a few times. Mine are black and hardly noticeable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts