Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just after a bit of advice really about this one, I had 4 new tyres put on my Brera last night and they've damaged large parts of the alloys, two more so than the others. I've attached pictures of it.

Anyway I rang the place that I had the tyres done at and they've told me to bring it in but they said that because the alloys were refurbed last year the paint is softer so this happens. I want to make sure that I'm not being unreasonable here (believe it or not I've never had to have my tyres changed before because my dad has usually taken them) so I want to make sure that this isn't just me. I'm pretty p*ssed off about it to be honest.

Any advice is welcome and appreciated :)

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thats a shocker.
They should pay for the damage... Any experienced fitter can manage it with no issues.
I made the mistake of using ETS last year and they caused a load of damage (Even managed to put some massive chips near the bolts). They offered to pay for a refurb, but I didn't have the time as was going to France a few days later.

Always wise to avoid the big name tyre paces that are staffed with 12 years olds that don't care.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Wow, they've really gone to town on those wheels. I can't give advice but I'd be pretty annoyed aswell, chances are most people replace their tyres once a year so anyone getting an alloy refurb would surely have the same issues?

I think they should definitely cover the costs of repairing those wheels as you left the garage with them in a worse state than you entered.

Did you get your alloys refurbed properly i.e powder coated and with the wheels removed? Or just the external surface? Because surely the refurber would have had to go through the same process of putting the tyres on freshly done new alloys?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, they've really gone to town on those wheels. I can't give advice but I'd be pretty annoyed aswell, chances are most people replace their tyres once a year so anyone getting an alloy refurb would surely have the same issues?

I think they should definitely cover the costs of repairing those wheels as you left the garage with them in a worse state than you entered.

Did you get your alloys refurbed properly i.e powder coated and with the wheels removed? Or just the external surface? Because surely the refurber would have had to go through the same process of putting the tyres on freshly done new alloys?
Yeah they were professionally done when I bought the car and I checked them thoroughly when I picked the car up and I know that I've kept them immaculate since because i've been very cautious about them! I'm heading back in there over the weekend to have a chat about them because I'm really not happy with what they've done to them!

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
They're supposed to use some sort of protector when putting tyres on an alloy rim.

I watched my local indy do my two front ones a couple of moths ago using something similar to the gizmo in the above link.:thumbup:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They're supposed to use some sort of protector when putting tyres on an alloy rim.

I watched my local indy do my two front ones a couple of moths ago using something similar to the gizmo in the above link.:thumbup:
Didn't know that even existed but I can definitely confirm that they did not use anything like that! :(

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Jesus!!!... Outer side. How it is possible ???...
They should put tire on rim from inner side.
Claim new allows from them.
:paranoid:

·
Registered
523 Posts
That is just completely unprofessional. I'd be livid and absolutely take them for complete refurb using your choice of who does it and give them the bill.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just my 2p but i can see where the garage is partially coming from. Whoever refurbed those wheels hasn't done a particularly good job. It doesn't appear to have adhered properly and has flaked off. A wheel should be powder coated, they look to be painted. It looks as if they have painted over the silver underneath, which should have been stripped off first.

However, the fitter looks to be incompetent as he should have taken more care and at least advised you before continuing to do the other wheels.

Get them to pay for a refurb.

·
Registered
700 Posts
How did they know you had them referbed last year? (that sounds fishy to me, either they know the history of these wheels? cheap referb? which they did? or you told them in advance and you had concerns?)

If it was last year (even in December 2015) the finish should have dried enough in the last 30+ days for them to be able to change tyres without damaging them. If you made them aware in advance that they had been refinished recently they should have either prewarned you about the risk and/or taken special care.

If they warned you prior to swapping tyres then sorry but its at your own risk.

If they didn't know then they should have stopped fitting at the first sign of damage, not carried on fitting the rest (without informing you). That places the blame firmly on their shoulders.
Take them back tell them you want them to either pay for referbing 3 of the wheels and you will pay for 1 (the one that they could not know would be damaged, but should have stopped at instead of carrying on to the other 3) or you will take them to court for the full cost.

If it goes to court you have taken all reasonable steps and been fair with your request. (so will possibly get all 4 repairs awarded)
or you will get 3 paid for.

Or you could get stroppy and insist they fix the damage they have caused (which could well end up with a referb of all 4 wheels)

Which ever way don't accept any bull**** excuses, if it's a big company shout, shout and shout some more, they won't really give a **** and will cave given enough pressure.
if its a small back street garage be prepared to compromise (a bit)

Axe.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Just noticed your pics,

Are they Kumho Ecsta LE Sport tyres?

If so did you have them fitted by black circles? or some other national/regional tyre fitters?

if so take it straight to the head office rather than dealing with the local fitters.

Axe.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just noticed your pics,

Are they Kumho Ecsta LE Sport tyres?

If so did you have them fitted by black circles? or some other national/regional tyre fitters?

if so take it straight to the head office rather than dealing with the local fitters.

Axe.
They are the Kumho tyres but I had them fitted at an independent tyre warehouse near me (highly recommended on reviews and things so I did a little research before I took the plunge to have them fitted). I'm going back in there tomorrow to discuss with them what they are going to do about the them because I will be pushing for them to refurb the damaged alloys.

The reason that they know the alloys had been refurbished at some point is because when I rang them up about it the first time, the bloke I spoke to said to me that there was already some scuffing on the alloy and I told him that I know that there wasn't because I'd had them referred and they were immaculate, this is when they then decided to say that it was because the paint is softer on refurbished alloys, but at no point did they warn me that this might happen. I did think about it though and thought that if that was the case every time that someone refurbed their alloy, as soon as they put the tyre back on they would need refurbing straight away so that is jus a poor excuse in my book!

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Mount technology implies that tire put on/put off are to done through inner side of wheel.
So if they has followed this technology and wheels were entirely bad their view to deal with, they should has leaved scratches inner side.
It is also not good, but it confirms at least they are correct.
Are any same scratches inner side ???...
If not, they simply do not care about your wheels properly and put tires through outer side which is wrong.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I had a set of 19'' TI wheels refurbed last October and the tyre fitters refused to put the Winter tyres on until the paint had had a chance to harden. Give it another week they said. So a week later I went back and they fitted the tyres (that I supplied) to the rims without causing any damage at all. The machine they used clamps the back of the wheel with 4 claws and the tyres went on from the outside of the rim. Carefully.

Sue the b******s.

Guy

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've changed hundreds of tyres (on racing bikes, but the machine is the same) and can say that you've been the victim of a careless fitter. If done properly, no part of the tyre machine touches the wheel apart from the four rubber-faced clamps on the underside and the bead of a tyre shouldn't cause paint damage.

I agree with one of the earlier posts; it doesn't look as if they were re-furbed very well but that damage simply shouldn't have happened. Make them pay for a full refurb.

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Is it just missing paint, or is there missing metal under the paint? I can't tell from the images.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Send them a letter in writing that if they dont admitt liabilty to fitting them incorrect youll go to trading standards. Be polite, keep calm and you will 9/10 win your little battle. . . If no joy, take them to small claims court. All hassle i know, but that is just abuse of customers property imo.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Went back to them yesterday and spoke to the manager, he tried it on for a very short period of time before they agreed to have the wheels refurbished. They have taken the back wheel off and put the space saver on until the refurb is complete (and then will swap the space saver onto the front once that one is back) so currently awaiting to see the results of the refurbishment.

Small win... for now!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is it just missing paint, or is there missing metal under the paint? I can't tell from the images.
I think it's just missing paint to be honest. I don't know about how good the last refurb was on it (apart from they looked good when I picked the car up) because the garage where I bought the car from paid for the refurb. Will wait and see what they look like when then come back from!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts