Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Halfords and the like have been warning of horrendous wintry weather on the way. Certain newspapers, since about August, have been doom-mongering about arctic conditions and the hideous fates awaiting those who are ill-prepared.

I've kept an eye on the weather and have ignored the icy overtures..........and yet, I feel comfortable and prepared.

So...........hands up who panicked and bought lots of stuff months ago that has only just become vaguely useful? Come on, from sledges, plaggy shovels thru to snow tyres - who's now crowing? :lol:

·
Registered
37,649 Posts
Halfrauds have had the pleasure of my custom. I got a new battery charger, 'cos Mum's car always get a tired battery in the winter and every time I go over to charge it the charger is in my garage, the other side of town :(

That is all.

K

·
0 Posts
I don't recall specifically buying anything in case it turned bad to be honest. In a worst case scenario scenario where we can't get the car out, I'll take a 25 minute walk to costcutter for emergency supplies of pot noodle and walker's crisps.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
It could snow for 6 weeks & we'd be fine;)

·
Registered
44,881 Posts
I used to buy windscreen wipers from Halfords but since joining AO I've discovered a web site that is much cheaper :D Same story with oil, although it's difficult to find anything but Halfords own brand in the grade and spec I need for the Mito, no way am I putting Halfords own brand oil in my engine ! After experiencing their own brand wipers many years ago, I don't think the quality would be too good :(

I only go into Halfords now to look at the sat navs and the bicycles ! :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
I bought a new snow shovel and a couple of bags of salt from the local DIY shop about 4 moths ago. They all said "do you know something we don't know....", but now I have a clear drive, done most of our road as well and there is plenty of salt down to prevent ice if it freezes.......

M

·
0 Posts
All I've done at this end is dig out a pair of old gloves........which I've worn once so far.

Regards the cars, the Ford is pretty sheltered on the driveway, and at worse I get a little frost on the front screen, but the wonderous quick clear screen deals with that no problem :cool:

I did have to charge the GTA's battery last Sunday, but that's primarily down to the fact that I hadn't started her for 3 weeks.

It's positively balmy in the bay today.......keep those warm fronts coming Mr Weatherman :)

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
Nope. Had snow shovels and rock salt in stock anyway.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Bought a new scraper from the pound shop a few weeks back, bring it on I say, I'm prepared :lol:

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
Not a brass farthing spent here :thumbs:

According to the Beeb news this snow has come at the end of this
prolonged arctic freeze (or words to that effect).... errr :confused:

Perhaps as part of the cost cutting the BBC has moved to Siberia.

And yes we've had a tremendous snowfall

of about

4mm :lol:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Tesco snow shovel (c£5.00) bought in November worked a treat at clearing a path this morning:D

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,409 Posts
The only things i have bought car wise are some bottles of antifreeze screenwash and a new head unit for the ex's car (when she was not an ex obviously)

Waste of money on both counts then :lol:

E

·
0 Posts
Err well we did the shopping as normal yesterday, somehow spent £90 yet didn't stock up on powder milk water and all that nonsense. God knows what we actually spent that on :confused:

Today, well there's about 4 inches of snow. Despite spending all that yesterday I needed something else, so I walked into town. (note it isn't that i'm scared to drive in these horrendous conditions, but walking is quicker) I took my camera, took some photos, got the stuff I needed, bought my Nephew a new pair of wellies and life continues as normal.

Booked a table at Zizzi's as I want to treat all the family, and they're all going to make it.

Tomorrow though....well that may be different, all depends on if this snow is the right kind of snow for South Eastern trains to run on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts