Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to work this morning, I had a call from my neighbour - all the windows on my car were lowered, and the rain was pouring in!! I hadn't used it, unlocked it or gone anywhere near it this morning, I went in by train today.

Anyone have any idea why all the windows might have decided to lower themselves? Hopefully unrelated, the parking sensors have also packed up a week ago, just get a warning now every time I start the car.

I am hoping this isn't the start of an 'Italian Electrics' episode... :mad::mad::mad:

It is under warranty, I guess I should get it checked out unless anyone has any better ideas?

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you press and hold the unlock button on the key fob the windows will open on some cars. Is there a possibility that you could have accidentally pressed the key fob whilst it was in your pocket?

·
Registered
161 Posts
My sunroof did this last week. No idea why, but lucky it was just drizzling and a quick rub with a towel was all that was needed. Thanks God for lfull leather though.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
Posted a very similar problem myself yesterday!
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-159-brera-and-946-spider/315994-brera-window-random-opening.html

the rain got at my window switch panel as a result and it stopped working but after getting a price for a new part (£95) it's decided to start working again - must have dried out.

Was your alarm system activated?
I knew I'd seen something very similar recently - too recently for my searching as it turned out!

I think so, my routine is to get out the car and press Lock, and listen for the clunk and beep plus the indicators flashing on. I assume that sets the alarm? it certainly didn't go off anyway.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you press and hold the unlock button on the key fob the windows will open on some cars. Is there a possibility that you could have accidentally pressed the key fob whilst it was in your pocket?
I have just tested, and on mine it does drop all four windows. I did have my key in my pocket this morning, so that is a definite possibility...

·
Registered
146 Posts
it will be the drivers door lock quite common i have replaced loads under warranty.The microswitch in the lock gets wet and fails.new lock required

·
Registered
199 Posts
It's very possible you did knock your keys and the windows dropped by 2 or so inches when the button was held in

That would be where my money is

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been having a similar problem since the battery died on my 159. I've just reset a few error codes using multiecuscan. but I've been left with one error that won't reset, 'B1019 lock input' which I presume means a problem with the door lock microswitch as mentioned in the post above. I'm going to strip it out at weekend to see if I can 'sort it'

·
Registered
232 Posts
It could be the Window/Electric Mirror ECU in the drivers door. Mine began to fail and the car started to do this (amongst other things including the mirror switch working in reverse, i.e right controlling left and left controlling right!).

However when this happened the odometer started to flash on the dash which means there is an issue with one of the nodes on the loom (the door ECU is one of these nodes). Does your Odometer flash? If you have a pal with Fiat ECU Scan (or you know an Indie that would plug in for you for no charge) it might be worth getting them to do what they call a "Proxy Alignment" as this might fix the issue by re-establishing the links to all nodes on the loom. Didn't work for me however, and I ended up having to replace the drivers door ECU in the end...managed to get a second hand part off eBay for £50 though and my pal Jamie at GoItalia installed it for me in about 10 mins flat. :thumbs:

Good luck in finding a fix...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Funny ive had the same problem came out one morning and all my windows were down
I thought it was the pocket thing too!
why does it have auto down windows but not auto up? my audi a4 had both
occasionaly the boot pops itself too I think I must be touching the boot open button when pushing the key fob into the dash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
quick update. I stripped the door lock out yesterday, took the top housing apart to get at the microswitch, WD40 & a wiggle & I could feel it operating. on re-installing the lock I discovered the lock(the bit the key goes into) had been loose due to the pinch arm pivot being snapped off. installed the lock with a blob of silicon sealer to hold it firm. whether it was a loose lock or a dodgy microswitch, the windows are now behaving themselves & the car doesn't keep locking/unlocking the doors itself

·
Registered
44 Posts
Came out this morning and all my windows were down and the boot had popped open, key had been in a different room to me all night so no chance i had mistakenly pressed it. This afternoon my car wouldnt start (flat battery), AA came out and changed the battery, could they have been connected or just a coincidence? Also changed 3 headlight bulbs this month!!

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
As srsgrandmaster said, the door lock microswitch (as in, the switch activated when you put the key in and turn it) is a likely cause - the same symptom and cause has been known to affect FIAT Stilos (these also put their windows down when the key is turned and held in the 'unlock' position). I'd suggest disconnecting the switch (leaving the lock still hooked up for emergencies), as it hardly ever gets used when you have remote locking.

-Alex

1 - 15 of 15 Posts