Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new car has a slot for a sim card... good idea or so I thought until...

...I tried to get a duplicate sim card for my mobile line. Apparently, although they have done this for a number of years for corporate customers, Orange won't offer a duplicate sim card to regular customers. All the charm in the world couldn't get their customer services to offer me a dual sim card... :mad: ...so I ordered a PAC code instead!

Given that it's fairly mainstream now that some cars have slots for sim cards, I find it amazing that Orange don't want to offer one to its customers.:wow:

Does anyone know which (if any) network offers a duplicate sim card to customers...? It is surprisingly difficult to find this info out.

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
Now that is a very good idea - never seen this before. Thanks for the heads up Nev.

N

·
0 Posts
No experience.

Got the heads-up from "The Register"

I'm currently using Jajah for international calls,
but that doesn't work if you're roaming.

If these guy deliver I may get one.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I was told today in a couple of mobile phone shops that none of the networks offers dual SIMs anymore. Apparently Orange used to (they currently only offer them on corporate accounts). This is weird, isn't it? It doesn't seem like a whacky request.... what is going on?

I may plump for this MaxRoam - but it doesn't look very professional, their business (judging by the website)...

N

·
0 Posts
Looks like a classic case of
"The-Customer-Is-Wrong" or "Ripoff-Britan"
to me :rant:

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I was told today in a couple of mobile phone shops that none of the networks offers dual SIMs anymore. Apparently Orange used to (they currently only offer them on corporate accounts). This is weird, isn't it? It doesn't seem like a whacky request.... what is going on?

Orange do offer it to corporate accounts but only if you 50 users/handsets !!!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Move to France. We've had dual cards for years.

The other thing to try would be a SIM from these
Irish chappies: http://maxroam.com/features.asp
Well... I bought one of these - I wanted a sim which would be a duplicate of my own number so that I could receive my calls in the car. I (wrongly it seems) assumed that this, from the MAXroam website, means precisely I get that:-

How does it work?
  • Buy a MAXroam SIM.
  • Go to the MAXroam activation page and pick your local number.
  • Insert your MAXroam SIM into any unlocked GSM mobile phone.
  • Switch on your phone and wait about 90 seconds.
  • GO!

It also says elsewhere on their site:-
When you register you will be able to choose a number from one of the following countries USA, UK, France or Ireland, for your SIM.

I thought it was too good to be true...

Instead my card has been assigned a number and there is no website facility to change it. I have emailed them to ask for clarification... but it seems that I have just wasted є30

Bugger!

N

·
0 Posts
Aw crap, I wanted to get one of these! :cry:

SO basically you've got a SIM but don't know the number? :confused:
Isn't there a code like *#100# that reports a SIM's number
on some networks?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts