Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone fancy providing me with an alibi for when i go round and brutally murder my in-laws with my bare hands tomorrow morning?

·
Registered
735 Posts
No problem. :thumbs: Just say you were over here, ill cover you. :lol: But we would really like to hear where did the 1.6k go???

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, a few years ago the father-in-law owed me some money which he couldn't afford to repay. so instead i agreed to arrange 2 big fat life insurance policies for him and the commission would cover what he owed me.

BUT anyone in the financial services industry will be aware about 'clawback' - basically if a policyholder cancels his policy in the first 2-4 years then the commission gets taken back by the insurance company (pro rata). anyway, he's had to cancel both policies as he's 3 months in arrears on his premiums and has no way of paying them, or future premiums.

so i've just been hit by a clawback of £1600 by 2 insurance companies

the irony is he needs his life cover more than ever cos the next time i see him i'm gonna kill him :mad:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Family eh?

Is he the sort of chap to beat himself up about it or just not give a shiv?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Never do business with family!!! Golden rule. I like it straight through the papers. No cousin relationships.

G

·
That is a complete b**tch mate, but that's families for you....

Mother in law has stiffed us so many times i now do not get involved with her in anyway whatsoever

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
he has at least given me warning of it this time (although i do get a report from the ins co. whenever a premium has been missed so i knew he was behind). i think he was angling for me to pay the premiums for him but NO - i did this for him in the summer and he never paid me the money back.

he's very embarrassed about it, but he's been a complete financial shambles for so long he seems to expect special dispensation from everybody he ever deals with. not any more :mad:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
he's very embarrassed about it, but he's been a complete financial shambles for so long he seems to expect special dispensation from everybody he ever deals with. not any more :mad:
If he's been carried and excused for it most of his life then I think it's time he grew up and took the fall.

We have a family member who is a complete waste of space, he came to us for Christmas and all the time he was here sat in his room playing on his phone, didn't say a word to me or Suzy unless we spoke to him and then only got one word answers.

We spent a small fortune on making a nice Christmas for both her and My family as it was first time we have ever done it and he didn't even say thank you.

The family makes excuses for him as they feel 'responsible' for his happyness.

I just think he's a manipulative C**T

Sorry for stealing some of your Rant Thunder :(

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no worries G-dog. a couple of years ago the f-i-l was having a financial meltdown moment so me & his son sat him down, rang all the companies he owed money to and made arrangements with them. he started talking about selling his house and asked if i would take the equity he has and build an extension on my house with it so he & the m-i-l could live with us :eek: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
no worries G-dog. a couple of years ago the f-i-l was having a financial meltdown moment so me & his son sat him down, rang all the companies he owed money to and made arrangements with them. he started talking about selling his house and asked if i would take the equity he has and build an extension on my house with it so he & the m-i-l could live with us :eek: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
Hmmm, sounds like somehwre along the line he's become dependant on rather than independant, that's a pattern you need to curb.

Good luck :(

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
In laws gotta love em! Well no not really, one massive row don't have anything to do with em any more!
I'll cover for you Al! We were in a transvestite club in liverpool! The police wont think anyone would make that up!

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
Alibis also available here as I can empathise - one of milady's family is into us for 5 figures and i've mentally written it off as I don't think he'll ever be able to pay it back....I daren't even work out just how much it is - I know how much I've sanctioned (£12k+) but I know that milady has let him have plenty more.....:-(

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
I fall into one of two camps.

If you need money I'll give it to you (if I can afford it), but don't take the p155 and I don't expect it back, that's what giving means.

However, if you asked to borrow money then I DO want and expect it back, if you don't, don't bother asking for more.

A freinds husband had a similar (in outcome) problem and borrowed money all over the shop, I first gave, then loaned some cash (although not the £13000 he'd originally asked for!!), to enable him to pay some bills and keep the wolf from the door.

However, his situation got worse and worse and he ended up (after releasing equity in it to pay people back) losing his house. Now he (and his wife) live in a small (but modern) flat/apartment and pay more in rent than their previous household bills combined!
He was a financial advisor too, we think that he invested in something a little "high risk", but didn't tell the people whose money he was using that they may lose it all, and they did!

Sorry for the hijack Al, but it's not just your family that can get into a debt spiral....
Now if only I can find that £10k for the 159 Q4 that's just appeared for sale up the road.

PS a loose pipe on a boiler can cause a buildup of CO, it's an invisible, silent killer. Especially for 'vunerable' people. <-WARNING, NOT A HINT!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_poisoning#Causes

1 - 20 of 27 Posts