Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am moving to Brussels soon where I will need a car (and unfortunately I will not have the luxury of a company car :( ), and I would really appreciate if somebody local could give me some advice:

1. How does this car tax (taxe de mise en circulation / taxe de roulage) really work? So far I get the impression that any car that is a bit of fun is taxed so badly that nobody bothers buying them :mad: . For example, if the data I found on www.automagazine.be is correct, it costs almost 900 Euros to get a GT JTD on the road, and I don't even start thinking about the GT V6 at 5,000 Euros.... :rant:

Do I understand this correctly that this 'taxe de mise en circulation' is a one-off fee from which you get nothing back when you sell the car, but the new buyer has to pay again (slightly discounted)?
What is the logic of charging way more for diesel cars on the taxe de roulage?

2. Are there any insurance companies that you can recommend?

3. Any good Alfa dealers in the Brussels area or other places where one can find good deals on used or new Alfas?

Thank you so much in advance for any tips relates to Brussels you can give me! :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Kleeblatt,

I'm from Brussel,
Congratulation, you have well understood how the "taxe de mise en circulation" works ;-)
"the taxe de roulage" has to be paid every year,
ex for my SW JTS I've paid around 980E when I bought it and I pay 360 E per year.
I don't really know why diesel engines are over-taxed...

for insurance companies :
Ethias seems to be the most cost effective.
I have my car insured by "les assurances federales", a little bit more expensive but I'm happy with the service (but I've never destroyed any car ;-) ). At the end of each year the share (a part of) their profit with their customers, ex last year I had a 15% refund
My advice : before leaving your present insurance company, you should ask for a report mentionning at least how many years you have been insured before being in belgium because they will take it into account for the pricing

Dealers:

There is on big Italian Automotive Center at a place called "delta" in brussels with a lot of used, nearly new and new cars (I bought mine there)

my previous alfas (33 & 155) were serviced at Genval (www.socaro.be) and I was very happy with them, very nice small garage, real alfisitis=> have look to the web site. I will come back to them when my warranty period will be finished

P

·
0 Posts
There is also an Alfa Dealer on the "Leuvensesteenweg". That road has dozens and dozens of cardealers, so it's a good place to go car hunting :)

I think Diesel is taxed more, simply because 70-80% of cars in Belgium are Diesels! Even back in the mid 90's when Diesel was not common, nearly 50% of the cars in Belgium was Diesels!

As for insurance, things might have change since i moved, but if not, then I can recommend using a Broker.. it costs a little bit for this service, but as a newcommer, you will be spared the confusion of running from counter to counter at the department of motor vehicles.(is quite the circus that place!)

Enjoy Brussels, it really is a fantastic place to live! I miss it dearly :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Peter K said:
There is also an Alfa Dealer on the "Leuvensesteenweg". That road has dozens and dozens of cardealers, so it's a good place to go car hunting :)
Now it's the same owner for Delta & Leuvensesteenweg but all the used and nearly new cars are centered @ the delta location

... and I agree with Pete you will enjoy Brussels, i'm going to leave by june (i come back to France) and I'll miss it a lot

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for all replies so far! Really looking forward to my move already :)

If you have any other tips for Brussels, like where to live etc. please feel free to post / PM.

Many thanks again! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts