Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '79 Alfetta 2.0 saloon needs a new radiator: the current one was bought new (by me) 25 years ago and its plastic side tanks are brittle and leaking. The saloon had a different radiator to the GTV coupé, and none of the usual suppliers seem to have one. One option is to have an all-metal radiator manufactured from scratch, but that's very expensive.

Anyone with a radiator for a 2 litre Alfetta saloon (or a clever idea on where I could get one) will immediately be nominated for "man/woman-of-the-year"....

·
Registered
431 Posts
Well, better make sure you know exactly how much a proper repair is, and work back from there. Anglia Radiators Cambridge
These guys can put new guts between bronze side tanks - They did this for one of my old TVRs. I think they can custom make the side tanks as well, but that is more time consuming. If you can find an old radiator with roughly the right side tanks, they can re-core it, might be the best option for the next 25 years, by then we'll all be driving in electric-converted classic alfas anyway.

·
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that. The eBay one is certainly different to mine: pressure cap and overflow are on the wrong side, top-centre mounting position looks different, etc. The advert says 'Alfetta series 1', and mine is the later version (with a rear hinged bonnet) so it seems that these two versions had different radiators too!

A shame, as it would be great to have a new and genuine rad...

·
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An update...

Many thanks to those who chimed in with suggestions/ideas about the new radiator for my 2.0 Alfetta saloon.

I took the car to Avanti Autos in Ipswich who confirmed that the radiator was leaking and couldn't be re-cored because it had plastic side tanks. We looked at various (expensive) radiators on eBay and elsewhere but weren't convinced by any of them. Eventually we decided to ask Sheldrake and Wells (also in Ipswich) to make a new rad from scratch, with metal side tanks so that it can be re-cored/repaired in the future.

They have done a fabulous job. Visually the radiator is indistinguishable from the original but I think it cools better. Avanti were terrific, pressure testing the system, helping me research the various options and then working with Sheldrake and Wells to get the amazing final result that was achieved.

The total bill was half what I'd been expecting, and it's great to have discovered Avanti who seem to be knowledgeable, enthusiastic and honest - a rare combination in the garage trade these days...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts