Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what Paint Code my Silver '82 GTV6 is ?

Will be going in for respray soon and would like to keep it the same colour.

The under bonnet plate which has the Paint Code on is missing, a common scenario it seems, I have no idea why this should be. :confused:

Any help much appreciated, pics of my car in the GTV Register Thread in this Lounge.

Cheers,

Nige.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The under bonnet plate which has the Paint Code on is missing, a common scenario it seems, I have no idea why this should be. :confused:
Because it's under the bootlid? Or at least mine is. Sorry if that's stating the bleedin' obvious, Nige!

There is a list of Alfa paint codes and colours here ALFA ROMEO PAINT CODES. From a quick perusal of that, the '81-'82 silver is AR754, although the actual colour of paint can vary quite substantially within these codes.

You can get comprehensive sets of colour chips to match your car's colour to and then get paint made to that formulation - a bit like that old Dulux ad where someone cut a piece from a fellow bus passenger's raincoat as a sample to get the right colour mixed for their kitchen.

Replacement paint code stickers are available from Highwood (for example) for the finishing touch.

·
16,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because it's under the bootlid? Or at least mine is. Sorry if that's stating the bleedin' obvious, Nige!

There is a list of Alfa paint codes and colours here ALFA ROMEO PAINT CODES. From a quick perusal of that, the '81-'82 silver is AR754, although the actual colour of paint can vary quite substantially within these codes.

You can get comprehensive sets of colour chips to match your car's colour to and then get paint made to that formulation - a bit like that old Dulux ad where someone cut a piece from a fellow bus passenger's raincoat as a sample to get the right colour mixed for their kitchen.

Replacement paint code stickers are available from Highwood (for example) for the finishing touch.

Doh, well budda me J :wow: Never noticed that !!!

Thanks very much, I'll put up some pics showing location in a minute to help others who, like me, may be intellectually/visually challenged !

Once again, thanks very much J. :thumbs:

P.S. To illustrate my stupidity I've just bought a Headlight Unit from eBay as I really need the OUTER Units ( Dipped ), or at any rate I think I will come the next MoT. On reviewing what I have just bought it seems I now have another INNER Unit. :( Must read the adverts with more care, I was just so excited at finding one at all.........

The search continues.......

·
16,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are the pics.

Attachments

·
16,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be glad you still got yours :cry: mine is gone... :cry: only the outline is there still :cry:
:lol:

As you can see - only just ! Will be refixing this after the respray. :)

·
16,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
16,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same colour as mine! but the paint I got mixed for touch-ups didn't match very well!
:thumbs: I like the colour. Originally thought I wanted a Rosso 130 one, not that you get a lot of choice when buying one of these ! :wow: The Silver looks great though and I'm really taken with it.

I have the dilemma of matching the paint too. It is going for a respray but not a full strip down one so I suppose there will be areas of original paint left. I hope the paint I get is a good enough match so this isn't obvious.

You've given me yet something else to worry about now ! :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
think mine are the same colour.. have the same colour matching dilemma... think i'll end up repainting the whole car as there are little marks all over.. course then i could swap to a different colour ..

confused.. i hate choosing paint for cars

·
Registered
782 Posts
I’m definitely going for the Rosso when I finally get round to the respray – I don’t really like silver Alfas even though I’ve got two!

·
16,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suppose that at this point I could change the colour of mine. All I would need to do is to FULLY strip it down to the bare shell and then..............

I think not, enough is enough and as the driver is far from perfect why should the car be so ! :wow:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for referencing my paint code page. I have worked hard to collect every paint code there is and I know there is more, I just haven't had time to get back to posting them. As it states at the top of the page, it is for reference only as there were 3 paint code changes since the 1960's. So one code might fit a different model or year. Also, please note that one paint store might mix it one way and walk across the street to another with the same code, you will get another mix. If you truly want a perfect match, find someone who will do you a hand tint off off a part that hasn't seen daylight. Pay more, but the results are exact. That is how I came up with the paint color for the 5 spoke spider wheels.

·
16,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for referencing my paint code page. I have worked hard to collect every paint code there is and I know there is more, I just haven't had time to get back to posting them. As it states at the top of the page, it is for reference only as there were 3 paint code changes since the 1960's. So one code might fit a different model or year. Also, please note that one paint store might mix it one way and walk across the street to another with the same code, you will get another mix. If you truly want a perfect match, find someone who will do you a hand tint off off a part that hasn't seen daylight. Pay more, but the results are exact. That is how I came up with the paint color for the 5 spoke spider wheels.
:thumbs: I'm so glad that you took the time and trouble to do this, very useful.

I agree that perhaps the best way to get what you want is to take a sample, I'll probably be doing this next month........

Thanks again. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I'm after some touch-up paint for my GTV6, but the plate under the bootlid had no Alfa code on it.
It's the original metal Alfa plate, but all it says is:

"DUCO
Rosso Alfa
Thermoset Acrylic"

As there have been 100s of Alfa Rosso colours, how do I get a perfect match? And it's Acrylic, not cellulose. I have three existing Alfa Rosso paints, but none of them are Acrylic.
I know Duco was a paint made by DuPont ages ago - mostly for white goods and the like.
Anyone know a possible supplier, please?

·
16,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would imagine that the Paint Colour on yours is " Rosso Alfa " but we all know that there are lots of variants on this. ( 130a, b etc. ) Added to this of course is the likelihood that your paint may have faded. You really have to take the car, or a bit of it, to the Paint Supplier to be sure of a good match.

I know that the guy who did the painting on mine took a bit of the car with him to the Paint Supplier, even though we had the Code. He took a Door Hinge although what happened next I don't know. Can't be sure how good the match actually was as the whole car was painted except for the Engine Bay and inside the Doors but looking at the results I reckon it was a good match.

I think you need to go to a local Paint Supplier and have a word with them as I'm pretty sure they will be able to match it OK, whether or not they will do it in a small quantity as a " Touch Up " is perhaps a different story.

No idea if any Alfa Dealers will have any stock of the Touch Up tubes left but I very much doubt it unless the colour is the same as on a current model.

Good hunting, let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
I am afraid no one will do a match for you for a touch up stick! It is too much work involved!
I had a paint matched from a piece of a car, was sent to the midlands to be scanned by some million dollar scanner, and then a code was produced, from which I could order paint.
Best thing in your case, is to visit an automotive paint supplier, get hold of their colour cards and go through all the reds till you find the nearest possible match. (do it in the daylight too, if possible!)
Morelli might be in your area, they are one of the best around:
Morelli: Total Supply Solution

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Thanks

I am afraid no one will do a match for you for a touch up stick! It is too much work involved!
I had a paint matched from a piece of a car, was sent to the midlands to be scanned by some million dollar scanner, and then a code was produced, from which I could order paint.
Best thing in your case, is to visit an automotive paint supplier, get hold of their colour cards and go through all the reds till you find the nearest possible match. (do it in the daylight too, if possible!)
Morelli might be in your area, they are one of the best around:
Morelli: Total Supply Solution
Thanks Nigel, and Spider
Obviously I'd buy a gallon of the stuff if they can match it ok!
I'm checking with Morelli now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts