Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been covered before but am finally taking a road trip to europe, will hopefully post images along the way. After spending loads on my latest alfetta, I want some payback from her in mileage. Any advice from others who have done similar route welcome. Day one tomorrow hope to be in Bern Switzerland by 6.00pm, taking the Eurotunnel at 3.00am. After first fill up what concerns me a little, apart from the tiny oil leak she has, is it just about fits 10 gallons in the tank, I'm praying for 260 miles.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally found some half decent wifi, a few days left and the alfetta is going well, my worry on the 10 gallon tank is not an issue, and the couple of oil leaks I have have only needed a litre and a half on about 1500 miles which i'm happy with right now. Have been through France to Bern in Switzerland, The Gotthard Pass to Lake Como, Down to Chianti, Viareggio and the Cinque Terre on the Ligurian Coast. So far have only been flashed by one speed camera in Switzerland and one parking for entering Bellagio in the day time, I'm an idiot I know. I really like how most Europeans move over quickly when not overtaking, the roads are stunning, much better than any track day I've had. I've had to develop left foot braking there are so many bends and hairpins in and around como and Chianti. Had one scare when I got confronted by a bus on a single lane road in CInque terre which took quite a reverse move around a bend and uphill. Second Scare tried to Visit Badia a Passignano in the Chianti hills and spent 20 minutes crawling through a gravel track bumpy road, god knows what I scraped at the bottom of the car, hoping it was only exhaust. Only other concern, maybe some alfetta owners can advise, I'm getting what I can only describe as at slow breaking speeds a sound which is like my pads are not gripping the discs, sometimes front, sometimes rear, I've only ever heard that noise when I had a sud, and it was raining, the front discs would groan kind of. Here are a few pics of the trip.

Attachments

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,322 Posts
:thumbs: Sounds like a great trip !

I remember the groans on the suds that I've owned in the past but can't say I've noticed this on the '6.

Wouldn't worry, just relax and enjoy the trip. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would really like an Alfetta GTV6 :D, great pics btw :thumbs:
Thanks, Mines a 2 litre, previous owner put the bonnet on, the purists will say it's a sheep in wolfs clothing, but I like it and for now my money is going on mechanicals and fuel.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well Holiday over back to normality and roads with less hairpins, last few pics below,
The Alfetta survived the task admirably and with many compliments along the way. P.S does anyone know how to make portrait photos show straight?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks Bigfoot, forgot to add the photo outside the Gotthard hotel, before we knew it the pass had come and gone so didn't get any pictures on the road, should have taken the tremola, but wasn't sure about the cobbles. The Lambo was a chap from Qatar on some road trip, had his car flown out to him, I should have got into the oil business, seems lucrative.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found an old memory card and thought I'd post a photo of the end of this holiday post story, a week after I got back from doing around 1500 miles to Italy and back the car wouldn't start, upon investigation little compression and my piston liners and other bits in the engine were shot, I thought it was kind of nice my engine let me have a nice holiday to Italy and let me get back home before it gave up the ghost, I could have been stranded at any point.

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
ooh that sure looks nasty but as you said - in a gentleman like manner your car granted you the whole trip. Could deserve some quality time in the garage now. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts