Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm currently refurbishing the whole rear suspension. dedion and transaxle are out of the car.
At this point I would like to replace the rear bearings too but don't have and can't find the proper tools to do the job. This job:

Replacing Alfetta Rear Wheel Bearing ? Dep-O Magazine

The one place where some of the tools used to be available was totally alfa but they have changed their business and are not making tools any more.

Help! :)

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
For the cost of buying the tools why not get them done after by a mechanic, it's a job you'll only do probably once every ten to twelve years depending how many miles you do

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know, ideally I wouldn't like to buy the tools but painting the dedion with the hubs in situ will never be as good a job as if they are out.

But yes if I can't find a solution I will have to refurbish everything but the hub area and then put everything together and do that at a mechanic as the final last job.

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
Are you putting in a clutch while you are there and brake discs? Might be an idea, keep us some photos and good luck

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you putting in a clutch while you are there and brake discs? Might be an idea, keep us some photos and good luck
Yes, it was slipping a bit so I took it apart thinking it would still be the dual disc setup. In fact a PO had already changed to the single disc clutch and the disk is new.
I cleaned it up and deglazed like so:
The release bearing is an issue though, for now I took it apart, cleaned and re-packed but it will need a new one at some point. Followed this video:

In fact I was thinking instead of opening a thread of each bit of the car I have been working on maybe I will open one of those epic threads that runs for 10 years, not sure what people prefer?

you handy at fabrication?
;)

the tools here (well, those in green) have drawings so you can make your own if you click on the tool

Craig's Place, Tools
Yes! I knew about this website but did not know about the drawings! Thank you very much!

·
Registered
462 Posts
For what it’s worth hou can drive the huge locking ring out with a hammer and a chisel and some feeling. Remember which eay they’re threaded since they are side specific if I remember correctly.

With them off you can paint the ”dijon” and afterwards have someone replace the bearings and locknuts.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Progress, fabricating the tools :)

And removing the cotter pins, Plusgas helped a lot but still needed a lot of patience...

Now, I'm not sure how to remove the lock nut. The manual simply says "Remove the cotter pin and the lock nut to expose the hub nut" so is it supposed to just pull off. It's pretty stuck in there... Any tips?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, with a lot more patience and lightly tap it with a piece of copper I managed to remove the lock caps with the claw end of a small claw hammer.

Hmmm, crusty.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This looks like a really bad design. There should be an extra cap to contain some grease and protect these parts from the elements...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This has been on hold for a while but I've restarted some work...

The puller too has been finished and used to pull the hub off the splined stub axle shaft.

The outboard inner bearing race came with the hub on both sides though, sort of expected...

What I did not expect was to see what that the hub shaft where the inner bearing races sit has been punched to prevent them to slip, as the axle itself (ony on one side of the car) is 0.2mm shy of the nominal 42mm inner diameter of the wheel bearing...

Does anyone know where I can find a decent one of these hubs? Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts