Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I finally get to see an Alfetta GTV that I've seen for about a year on gumtree. The body and chassis appear solid enough and the prop and gearbox are good. However, the interior's shot, electrics need work, there was a dodgy replacement of the sunroof with a metal panel which is slightly rusty, brakes need work, the boot lid is rusted right through and the motor definitely needs an overhaul. Would I be mad to offer R9.5 to 10k?
Here's the ad Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0l '76 - Cape Town / Western Cape used car for sale - Gumtree Cape Town / Western Cape Free Classifieds

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
If the body is solid I would..... I have been looking at that add as well, these cars are getting rare.....
There is nothing that cannot be restored or replaced on this car, but the body needs to be solid.....
Krasch or another GTV fundi can maybe give youy a few pointers.....what to look for etc....

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Eric. There's a couple of threads where guys gave tips already. Going to see about the paperwork.

K

·
0 Posts
If you looking for perpetual work by how you describe it then buy it . If it's virtually rust free then it's worth it and mechanically ok . There are three types of windscreens on these
Gtv . Metal beading only which had a huge problem of rusting ( anode cathode reaction) so alfa then brought out in 1981 metal with rubber beading which worked , then finally full rubber beading . The windscreens also differ in size .
I never like to say it's not worth it depending how far you want to take it to . If you want it near perfect it's gonna cost you small fortune and you will never get your money back and it will continue to rust. If you want to get it mechanically solid and live with the bodywork then budget on R 15000 to get it solid realiable.
I had a sunroof in my 1980 2.0 which I filled in as it created it's own water catchment chamber so you gotta be careful. Not every one has a million bucks to blow on alfas but I think about r7000 and you're still in for another r15000. Don't rush on this one , there are quite a few with better bodywork floating around inland .
This one could haunt you !

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Krasch. I'm not really into the concourse scene. I just want a car I can enjoy on the road. Did your sunroof drainage channels get blocked? I suspect there might have been drainage problems with this car. I couldn't lift the carpet, but the passenger side footwell felt 'crunchy' but solid. I'll take a close look soon though.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I agree with Krasch but what I like about the one you are looking at is that it seems close to original and in my experience that tend to be the best cars to buy.
Basically because you really see what you get no hidden surprises.

Get the price as low as possible and take it.

On the picture it look’s like the front lower lip spoiler is still on. Or am I dreaming?

Look for rust behind the front wheels, inside the bonnet, behind the doors, around the windscreen and below the rear lights.
If the front lip is still on and the rubber strip on the rear lid make it even more special since it is things you just do not get at this stage.

With the dash in that condition the car probably spend most of its 35 years in a garage since the dash would not have survived in the sun.

If I had the spare cash I would have bought it since it seems to be complete which makes it a perfect car to return to its original state.

If you buy it please do not change the color just re spray it the same color.
All the idiots who turned 105 GT and GTV’s into red mongrels spoiled them completely in my opinion.
Probably why I have such a dislike in red Alfas.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will definitely try not to change the colour, TN, altough I've always liked the idea of a black coupe. My 105 was originally red! That's what I like about this car - it is very obviously unrestored, but has had some small dodgy repairs done and the interior is very, very neglected.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Interior can be sorted without breaking the bank. The main thing is the dash looks good which almost never happens. I am sure you can source material that’s close to the original for the rest from what I could see in the picture. We still have some interior bits lying around if you need something.
Is the front lip spoiler still on?

Are the body lines above the rear wheels still straight?

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yep. Shut lines are good, but looking at it today it's obvious that there are years of neglect. Also on the inside of the fenders just below the bonnet there are some spots rusted right through. What bothers me is the following: last 3 registration numbers in order on papers are CA69***2, CEY39***7 (licence on the car now) and lastly TJ79***. Why would the current plate on the car be the one in the middle?

·
Registered
709 Posts
maybe a private plate, which was removed by last owner to put on another car?

i could be totally wrong, not sure how registrations work over there.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Quite a few popping up lately. It is always like that with Alfa's in the classifieds, you never see a particular Alfa then all of a sudden there are a few at once. Like the 164, you never see any and lately there have been 2 or 3 on Gumtree.

I drove past a beautiful red GTV6 3.0 in Bedfordview today... Oh how I want one of those cars.

·
Registered
498 Posts
maybe a private plate, which was removed by last owner to put on another car?

i could be totally wrong, not sure how registrations work over there.
If it was a personalised plate for the Western Cape it would have ended in WP. Must just be our Government's brilliant *cough* eNATIS system working it's magic again as TJ (Transvaal Johannesburg) would have been the first plate the car had because they replaced TJ with e.g. BCD123T in the early eighties already.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Yep. Shut lines are good, but looking at it today it's obvious that there are years of neglect. Also on the inside of the fenders just below the bonnet there are some spots rusted right through. What bothers me is the following: last 3 registration numbers in order on papers are CA69***2, CEY39***7 (licence on the car now) and lastly TJ79***. Why would the current plate on the car be the one in the middle?
good question. It is suppose to be the first one not the middle.
But it might be our wonderful eNatis system. Best is to try and find out at the traffic department. Or wait, give me a call on 082 929 1171 tomorrow or Friday during the day. I am in the SAPS and I will try and find out for you whats going on.:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the offer, Wildcard. I've got someone local running the car through the system for me. Will hear tomorrow. The TJ is a Joburg plate. Could be that the owner couldn't spend money on new plates - he mentioned he only drove the car for two months after a bike accident.

J

·
0 Posts
I agree with Krasch but what I like about the one you are looking at is that it seems close to original and in my experience that tend to be the best cars to buy.
Basically because you really see what you get no hidden surprises.

Get the price as low as possible and take it.

On the picture it look’s like the front lower lip spoiler is still on. Or am I dreaming?

Look for rust behind the front wheels, inside the bonnet, behind the doors, around the windscreen and below the rear lights.
If the front lip is still on and the rubber strip on the rear lid make it even more special since it is things you just do not get at this stage.

With the dash in that condition the car probably spend most of its 35 years in a garage since the dash would not have survived in the sun.

If I had the spare cash I would have bought it since it seems to be complete which makes it a perfect car to return to its original state.

If you buy it please do not change the color just re spray it the same color.
All the idiots who turned 105 GT and GTV’s into red mongrels spoiled them completely in my opinion.
Probably why I have such a dislike in red Alfas.

I agree with Turbonutters 200% here. Paint, metal, carpets and upholstery are replaceable. Engines and gearboxes, etc can be overhauled perfectly. As long as the car is complete and the original hard to find bits are there. An uncracked dashboard alone is good motivation to buy. 99%ones are cracked. Most cars that you will buy will probably need body work anyway. Just be carefull of cars with (hidden) accident damage.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The seller indicated in the ad that the car is licensed. It is not. The economist in me came up with quite a few reasons why I shouldn't buy this car:tut: and my heart was finally convinced:cry:. Checking out another car over the weekend.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I so badly want to save it, DNA, but then I think of the footwell which felt crunchy. I couldn't lift the carpets to get a look at it, but in retrospect it felt like a tinworm party there. Then the inner fenders also had some rust which went right through. If body parts for these cars were not as rare, I would strongly consider it.
Krasch also mentioned the sunroof problem and I do not want to be caught out with a rust trap which this is very likely to be. As sad as it is, I will not be able to justify this purchase.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts