Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the forum, but nothing about this is in the history. I think I need new door seals on the Allfetta GT, since I can now actually see the water dripping from the door. My first instinct is to call Highwood, but based on the quality of the speedo cable I last got, I though I would ask others what they did, and if they were satisfied with the quality and fit.
Hazel

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
7,249 Posts
Arnt EB spares better for Alfetta bits?

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,432 Posts
I found some seal rubber for either the doors or the the rear hatch of my GTV6 ( can't remember quite which ) from here.

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/contactus

It wasn't quite right but it did the job. As you are not too far away it might be worth a visit to see if they have anything which may do it.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Hhighwood get a lot of bits from EB Spares so either or will work, but if you do fit new ones no matter where you get them, the doors may be difficult to close at the beginning as they will be nice and plumpy so to speak,

·
Registered
35 Posts
Duemila is correct about new seals making doors difficult to close, just ask one of my passengers who didn't slam the door shut hard enough before we went round a right hand bend! Luckily she managed to grab the door before it smacked into a lamppost! ?.
I was going to start a new thread but seeing this one is similar I feel a hijack coming on.
My drivers door has the dreaded droop, there I've said it! The hinge pins are shot, has anyone out there ever changed them? If so how much of a pita was it and where did you get them from. Did ask same question on ALFABB site some time ago but didn't get much in the way of useful info so thought I'd give it a go on here. Car is a 78 Alfetta GTV by the way.
Regards John

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, the lower pin is a total ars# to remove. They are easy to install, and I got a spare, and a tool I made to do the job on one of my 75s. on the 75 it was a 20 minute job and the door shut perfectly afterwards, Alfa must have learned by then. The pin cannot realistically be removed by pressing it from the bottom. If you drift from the top it only goes 20mm or so before it starts to peel off your door skin. I considered a dremel to take off the pin bit by bit, but I'm not sure even that will work.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hhighwood get a lot of bits from EB Spares so either or will work, but if you do fit new ones no matter where you get them, the doors may be difficult to close at the beginning as they will be nice and plumpy so to speak,
EBsteals don't sell the door seals, infact Highwood appear to be the only source, so £150 a pair seems reasonable. ? I've ordered them anyway, so we shall see.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Can you please let me know how the door seals fit as I'm looking to redo mine and being in Western Australia it's a long way for parts to come that don't fit correctly, I've also redone the door pin's and it helps but the door still drops a bit, that's a long door and I couldn't believe how heavy they were, it's 37 year's of wear and tear taking it's toll I guess.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
The Seals will fit, but we're talking about fresh rubber not something that's been squeezed for 30 odd years, I imagine adjusting the lock or catch just after fitting may help, and adjust as they bed in,

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The door seals arrived today, and they are better quality than I expected, but I had quite low expectations. The doors should shut properly, my passenger door shuts perfectly, with a reasonable amount of velocity. However, the doors on my 75 GT are not original, and they are not the same on either side. Some changes to locating holes for electric window motors and then captive connectors etc. The A pillar that the door mounts to looks particularly flimsy, but you can pack the hinges with various shims to get the door to sit right. However if you have the sills replaced or front wing replaced in the past, it is possible, like me yor 'A' pillar has moved a mm or two, and that will make the door almost impossible to shim properly. I am considering having my wing removed, the windscreen taken out and the 'A' pillar moved to the correct place. Probably only going to cost £3000 argggggggg. maybe not then.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you please let me know how the door seals fit as I'm looking to redo mine and being in Western Australia it's a long way for parts to come that don't fit correctly, I've also redone the door pin's and it helps but the door still drops a bit, that's a long door and I couldn't believe how heavy they were, it's 37 year's of wear and tear taking it's toll I guess.
I fitted the drivers door seal today, since water drips on my leg if I drive in the rain. So, as predicted my door will now not close. If I really slam it hard as I can (from outside), I can just about get the first click. I noticed on the old seal there were little air releif holes every so often in the rubber, which is not present on the Highwood seals. They were quite tricky to fit, the metal inside then is very flimsy, and easily folds in under itself. so all-in-all about what I expected, mild disappointment, after a large cash outlay.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Disappointing to hear, I guess it's just a case of time to let them squash down enough to let the door seal properly.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Disappointing to hear, I guess it's just a case of time to let them squash down enough to let the door seal properly.
Feeling very let down by parts availability, so having my annual wobble about 116 ownership and listed it on eBay.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I hear you, imagine being in Perth Western Australia, it's a disappointment looking for parts, the second hand part's available are worse than the one's I want to replace, and you'd think they were made of gold the prices they want. I'm starting to use part's I like the look of instead of original, window winders were one thing , I found Ford winders in chrome that looked better than the original, but I'm not after keeping it original if I find better part's.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You might have to visit TP's bet they could adjust it for you
Yes, they did it before! Plus they did a pretty good job on painting my Bonnet and tailgate. I need to get them to do some major surgery on the 'A' pillar. In the mean time my plan is to leave the car door as closed as I can to squish-it into shape.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts