Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone else notice in this month's Car magazine Marchionne is reported as saying the big guilia based 5 series competitor is not now going to be built?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36,862 Posts
According to somebody who saw the full size model it looked superb, like a real Alfa . The Designers must be very disappointed.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't get it. What's happened to the big plans he had for Alfa?

·
Registered
36,862 Posts
I don't get it. What's happened to the big plans he had for Alfa?

You won't get it. The products in the big plan that is.
He has always planned to be retired before it was done but now he's taken over Ferrari.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So he never planned to introduce those 9 alfas in the plan? What will we actually get?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol looks as if you're right! Personally I'd like to see a rwd guilietta, and a new spider!

·
Registered
2020, Giulia Veloce, Silverstone Grey and Black Leather
392 Posts
Lol looks as if you're right! Personally I'd like to see a rwd guilietta, and a new spider!

Hi
Car said 'gossip' was there would now be a Giulia SW next year, as well as the Stelvio SUV. Also a larger SUV, plus a giulietta in saloon or hatch plus SW (must decide by summer this year if its RWD or FWD). Other (RWD) models by 2020 would be a coupe (GTV/Brera) and Spider (by 2020). Doesn't mean the big Alfa won't be built, but simply its dropped back in list of priorities, based on changes in the market place as FCA see it.:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
A5 & C-Class coupe & convertible competitor at least 5 years away.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
It would make sense to me to build as many different cars on 1 decent platform as possible. A bit like what went on with the 116 cars, where you could get a giulietta, alfetta, alfetta GT and 75/90.

small to executive size sedans, and a sports car aswell. technically, those cars were well ahead of other companies offerings, imo. Too bad the V8 never came.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I passed a French plated 166 jtd on the M26 early yesterday.

A look back in my rear-view mirror....God! what a glorious looking creature. A true muscle stance (this was the original version before the generic facelift).

Unfortunately I am driving the humble 156 GTA at the moment so the Frenchman didn't know my true appreciation.

Maybe its because a sight of a 166 is almost as rare as the sight of the 169..or new Alfetta....but this 166 in my rearview mirror on a quiet stretch of the M26...pure swelling of the heart with joy at the sight.
A sight of a 164 -especially the original version- is equally as thrilling.

If the Alfetta takes the new Guilia for its cues then I can't imagine it will raise quite the same feelings...for the reasons noted here: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-giulia/863906-about-giulias-design-but-seriously.html in short, it looks much like a BMW, something the 164 and 166 did not.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I seem to remember Alfa held back the 166 to get the 156 to market 1st, as it was going to sell more. A bit like now.
IMHO 166,is a very handsome car, too!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,786 Posts

·
Registered
36,862 Posts
I passed a French plated 166 jtd on the M26 early yesterday.

A look back in my rear-view mirror....God! what a glorious looking creature. A true muscle stance (this was the original version before the generic facelift).

Unfortunately I am driving the humble 156 GTA at the moment so the Frenchman didn't know my true appreciation.

Maybe its because a sight of a 166 is almost as rare as the sight of the 169..or new Alfetta....but this 166 in my rearview mirror on a quiet stretch of the M26...pure swelling of the heart with joy at the sight.
A sight of a 164 -especially the original version- is equally as thrilling.

If the Alfetta takes the new Guilia for its cues then I can't imagine it will raise quite the same feelings...for the reasons noted here: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-giulia/863906-about-giulias-design-but-seriously.html in short, it looks much like a BMW, something the 164 and 166 did not.

I have it on good authority, the Alfetta looked more like an Alfa than the Giulia...

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Check out this weeks auto express. Has artists impression of alfetta. And it IS a good looking car!

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Check out this weeks auto express. Has artists impression of alfetta. And it IS a good looking car!

No thanks.
Auto Express is a worthless comic.
It's always full of so called 'artists impressions' that are never made a reality.
Completely pointless.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They don't have a good track record of scooping new cars. Logically, I would expect it to look like that. But then again when have Alfa ever done the logical thing? Having 2 or 3 clones of a particular shape is more a German thing.
The article made me buy the mag. I'm not forcing anyone else to. In fact , if you can enlarge that screenshot enough, you won't even have to do that!

·
Registered
36,862 Posts
They don't have a good track record of scooping new cars. Logically, I would expect it to look like that. But then again when have Alfa ever done the logical thing? Having 2 or 3 clones of a particular shape is more a German thing.
The article made me buy the mag. I'm not forcing anyone else to. In fact , if you can enlarge that screenshot enough, you won't even have to do that!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

The cancelled design was more Alfa than the Giulia, I have heard, but that picture is just a rework of the Giulia. You wasted your money on the auto express. Hopefully you can find another use for it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts