Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I had the brilliant idea of buying an Alfetta engine to replace my very tired U.S spec 105 series engine in my 1975 Alfa Spider. Now I have the origional engine out it has become apparent that the engines are different! It looks to me like I would need to swap the following to get it to fit:
Crankshaft - (No little bearing in the end of the Alfetta one for the clutch)
Water Pump
Sump
Engine Mounts

Anything else I might need to change? Any more challenges I may not have anticipated? I am open to all suggestions on this one!

Also the engine I have purchased is one that a lady has taken out of her road/club day car, she had spent a lot of money sorting the top of the engine including sharper cams etc then she decided to change the engine out for a 3.0 litre for even more power.

The engine has then been stored for 2 years in a dry shed with rags in the inlet/exhause ports etc. Because money is tight I am taking a punt and hoping that the valves etc will still be ok after sitting. I will however change the crankshaft bearings when I swap crankshafts over but please feel free to let me know if there is anything else that is a "must change" item while the engine is out. I am also hoping to have a bit of a sneak peak at the piston liners while the crankshaft is out for clues.

One final thing, does anyone know whether the dipstick will still be accurate after changing the sumps over?

Any and all help appreciated!!

Thanks.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
I'm not actually sure if you can do this - does the 105 bellhousing fit the Alfetta block? I thought they were a different casting?

What are the pistons/liners like in your old engine? What about sticking the new head and cams onto your old engine?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh dear this is not sounding good!
Unfortunatly my old motor is well nackered, it uses as much oil as a small country and the oil pressure guage barely registers when the engine is warm.
I have seen another spider that is supposed to have an alfetta engine and the bell housing looks like it will fit but I cant say for sure as I have yet to fit the clutch and try a bolt up.
Many Thanks for your thoughts though all help appreciated!

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Actually I've just looked back at some old posts I'd made on the AROC forum and you might be OK although there's a possibility you might end up with two dipsticks depending on where yours was originally!
:D

I went through a similar trial to you earlier this year - actually I'm still in it now! :rolleyes: My old engine was knackered and an Alfetta engine came up for sale very close to me. In the end I wanted to stick with a 105 block so I hung on for one as an Alfetta block in my car would have meant all sorts of things were incorrect including the oil filter housing so it would have just looked wrong!

If you've got the crank out, take it to a machine shop for measuring. It might need a quick regrind. Get them to supply the bearings too. You'll need a 105 waterpump to drive your rev counter and you may need to keep the 105 timing case on the front. Also check the Alfetta oil pump has the same length pick up pipe as the 105 one as it will need to fit in the 105 sump.

Might be worth asking on alfabb.com as I'm sure someone there will have tried it.

Here's some pics of my rebuild in progress. They might be useful for you to compare the Alfetta block against.
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/just-images-registered-only/132736-inside-the-alfa-twin-cam-nord.html

One last thing. While the engine is out it's a great chance to tidy up paint/wiring/brake pipes and all the other impossible to get to bits and pieces!
Good luck!
:thumbs:

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Same difference really Harry. You still need to sort the crank out and then you have the added problem of fitting the second distributor in!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your help to date guy's. Especially the photo link that has been very useful. Things are progressing well, I will let you know how we go when we get to assembly stage. At present I am just on crankshaft swap duties!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts