Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are rubber ones so will give it a go then!. Was going to pay autoglass to fit untill they told me if they break it they wernt liable!. And £180!!. Have done a lot of cars over the years but never fitted a windscreen!.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Fit the rubber onto the screen
Feed a length of electrical wire inside the lip and then sit the screen into position with the most difficult edge startedover the metal lip. Maybe the one behind the dashboard?
From inside the car start pulling the wire out and that should fold the rubber lip over the edge of the metal screen surround. Usually needs some pressure to keep the screen down and into the frame.
Just take your time. Might be useful to have another pair of hands?

rsfruitbat

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
May need to do a bonded one before too long. I have a spare screen that I took out of a wrecker.... but need to see what the MOT man says about the existing one.

I guess I can just get some adhesive off fleabay...? But I think there is some edge strip involved - does anyone know??

G

·
May need to do a bonded one before too long. I have a spare screen that I took out of a wrecker.... but need to see what the MOT man says about the existing one.

I guess I can just get some adhesive off fleabay...? But I think there is some edge strip involved - does anyone know??
what's wrong with the existing one?

i can tell you the current mot regs ;)

on the fitting side, as fruity says, another pair of hands is a must really to keep pressure on the outside as you pull the cord over the lip from inside.

i use strong nylon cord, para cord type stuff. it won't break or rip the seal and is very flexible.

get the top off a cartridge, the plastic funnel shaped things off exhaust paste tubes etc. thread the cord inside that then it makes the perfect tool to insert the cord into the screen seal groove.

the likes of autoglass always say they'd fit at your risk but they won't break it, not if you get one of the old guys who've done hundreds of them. they just have to say that to cover themselves incaes you have a brittle screen or a chipped edge one.

have a go yourself, you'll be fine :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Fitted a few rubber gasket ones and as you say fairly straight forward....

On my bonded screen there are a couple of chips. One was a small star shaped crack in the line of vision, which I have repaired with one of the kits you see on ebay and it was reasonably successful. You can still just about see it but it would pass a casual inspection. There is also another one on the passenger side. I don't know whether to bother repairing it at this stage because if I do and the screen fails anyway it is just another tenner in the bin. There are also a small handful of little 'dents' in the glass where stones have hit, but not cracked the screen.

I can either repair the second small star crack on the passenger side and see if that lifts the appearance of the overall screen, or just leave it and see what Mr MOT man says generally.

Any thoughts / comments.....?

·
Registered
67 Posts
i bought a windscreen replacement/ removal toolkit from jack sealey for doing this job and wished id bought it years ago,
theres a tool with a roller in it without which you'll swear lots..wasnt too expensive, cant recall price exactly,
no broken glass yet! :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts