Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what the original gearbox oil specification for the Alfasud was? I'm currently using an API GL-5 80W90 semi-synthetic oil (Millers CRX), but I have been reading that GL-5 can shorten the life of synchro baulk rings (something to due with its effect on phosphor bronze).

Should I be using a GL-4 grade oil? What did Alfa Romeo originally recommend? It probably wasn't a synthetic oil originally.

Not only do I continue to have gear oil leaking from my halfshaft, but now I am finding that 3rd gear doesn't always engage on downshifts. This is something to do with the synchro rings and if it isn't down to lack of lubrication (from the driveline angle) I am concerned that my newly rebuilt gearbox is deteriorating fast - so, could someone give me the specification as it was written in the owners handbook? The gearbox is a post-1982 unit. If necessary I will find a modern equivalent.

Thanks for your help!

Lauren

M

·
0 Posts
Hi Lauren. In the back of the hand book for my Sprint its got the grade as:
SAE 80W/90
API GL-5

Hope this is of some use.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mark - that's just the answer I was hoping for. I've heard a lot of talk about avoiding API GL-5 because it literally halves the life of the synchros, but if that's what Alfa recommend then so be it :D

Its a tricky one because the oil has to double as both gearbox and differential lubricant - the requirements of each gearset can be subtly different.

So I seem to be using the right grade of oil, its just a matter of how much and is it in the right place now :p

Lauren

1 - 3 of 3 Posts