Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I am interested in buying my Dads Alfasud Ti Cloverleaf project. It has been sat in his workshop for over 15 years and he is never going to do it.

I am not too sure what it is worth though, as I have struggled to find many for sale for comparison . I have seen one that appears to be very for good for £3500....
That seems very cheap to me!

I currently have a Mk1 Renault 5 TL as a daily driver (very economical) and a Mk1 Golf Gti that I raced last year. But I have always wanted a 'good' road car that is rare, fun to drive and will appreciate as an asset - maybe the Alfa will tick all the boxes...

Here are some pictures. I would be interested to hear your comments regarding values - not because I want to turn a profit (I know that is not possible from previous restorations!), but so I can offer him a fair price :p

It has been sat like this for YEARS

Rust is minimal, with only two or three tiny patches - although I know they grow when you attach them. The biggest area is the top of the LH roof gutter - may need a small patch making to fit.

My Dad says they handle very well, with great steering. He raced them in 1987. Here are a few pictures:

Happy new year all.
Sam

PS: Not sure how to make the pictures appear in thread :confused:

·
Registered
843 Posts
Looks very original and sound, so that would make it hard to value. £3,500 is about normal for a good road worthy one that doesn't need work. £500 is about normal for a shed. Maybe £2000 for one that is road worthy but still needs a little work.

Whats the mileage and history? How good is the interior?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okey doke, thanks.
They are similar prices to other 'iconic' cars, like the Clio williams and Mk1 Golf Gti I suppose.
I always saw the Alfa as a bit more exotic, so expected the prices to be more.

The interior is great, but very dusty where is has been sat in storage with the window open.
I think I would rebuild the engine, for reliability.
The Mileage is 54,000, which is believed to be genuine.

I think the car came in for a repair, and the owner didn't fancy it any more so sold it to my Dad. Not sure whether that was mechanical or bodywork, or both! It has sat here ever since - I am 26 and can always remember it being here.
It does appear to be very straight and tidy now. I will have a poke around for previous repairs.

It is not a project I will be attempting any time soon unfortunately, but I do fancy it and always hear how well they drive. Otherwise I was going to try and save up for 5 years or so and try to buy a Montreal!

What MPG can you get from the 1.5 out of interest? 30'ish?

·
Registered
843 Posts
High twenties/low thirties is possible if you keep the windows up and the stereo on so you can't here the engine and exhaust:D

If the mileage is genuine and the car is has had very little work in the past it should have the potential to get a bit more money then, but not much.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah, I think I will. I have been looking around it, and decided I really want it. We still have some spares around I could delve into if needed.
Just need to negotiate now!

·
Registered
741 Posts
The body looks very good which is essential and unusual for these cars.

It has great potential but as it is your dads car I think if you are going to get it going he should let you have it cheap at sub £1000.:)

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Hi Fish
It certainly seems to be in good order and highly suitable for restoration. The price is a difficult one in your circumstance but if you have checked on e - bay you will have seen that non running cars are fetching £700 plus. If it was with an MoT and in fairly good condition £2000. Immaculate seems to be £3500 plus depending on specification. These are still cheap prices for what are increasingly rare cars (and we hope that the prices will start to climb!!)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Had a word, and he is still reluctant to let it go. Especially if I only wave a three digit sum in front of his eyes :lol:
I won't give up though!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
you could put it on ebay with a silly reserve and he can see what people would pay for it in the present condition - were not lying - its more of a "love affair" than any real chance of getting your money back:cry:

K

·
0 Posts
it's on axle stands on the jacking points, that's a good sign

shame about the crappy number plate though :rolleyes: :lol:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha. Yeah, that number plate!! I love the look of the early 'suds, but am warming to the late ones - especially if it means less welding. I saw that early Ti on ebay go for less than £3000!

The offer to let him use it, and list on ebay are both good ideas!
Maybe I just save up the money and wait until he needs the cashflow - most weeks. He cannot say no then :)
I will let you know either way. Hopefully I can start a thread one day.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Haha. Yeah, that number plate!! I love the look of the early 'suds, but am warming to the late ones - especially if it means less welding. I saw that early Ti on ebay go for less than £3000!

The offer to let him use it, and list on ebay are both good ideas!
Maybe I just save up the money and wait until he needs the cashflow - most weeks. He cannot say no then :)
I will let you know either way. Hopefully I can start a thread one day.
'OO' were always Essex registrations.

Loads of ex Ford Management cars were either 'NO' or 'OO':)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I never knew that! I always thought the earlier plates where random.
Well, the car is in Essex :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts