Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i just picked up this alfasud ti 1974

i am wondering if it has extra value because of its early 12/1974 australian compliance plate date.?

early model features are alfa romeo logo chrome seatbelts, metal water reservoir tank, euro number plate holes punched into the boot lid, pale blue colour paint, instrumentations written in italian, chrome trims for glue in type windscreens, etc ...
there is even a green/chrome four leaf clover badge on the bootlid. it looks old but not sure if its original.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
the sud would be worth more if you restored it back to original but thats up to you ,i would love a series 1 sud ti but not many about now im sure the cloverleaf badge on the back was not original and i can rememeber the early cars had a bonded in windscreen with crome strip round it also if you dont mind me asking how much did you get the sud for.:cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Enri, the first alfasud ti's didn't go on sale until June 1975 -so this must have been a factory demonstrator or press car.

It may have also been a private import (unlikely)

Do you know what the original number plates were? I can look through my old Australian road tests - maybe it is one of those original test cars!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the australian compliance plate specifies it was
"manufactured by alfa romeo spa milan"
as apossed to the normal
"manufactured by alfa romeo australia p/l"

(does that make it a nord sud!)

the car has been in canberra for the last decade but was last registered in QLD , 130-FBU

·
Registered
1 Posts
Enri

For your information I bought a new Alfasud ti in June 1978 from Alfa UK Diplomatic & Miltary sales, based in Hendon. Mike Faulkner was the salesman. (Odd how I remember that!). I was in the army then and about to be posted to Germany, so was able to buy the car tax free. It was an Australian model too, dark blue and a 1200. It did not have the cloverleaf signage as standard.

I recall that he had a number of Australian 1200 tis to sell and several of us got them at a good discount on the list price. I seem to remember it wasn't long afterwards that the 1300 came out, so they were clearly trying to get rid of excess stock. If I also remember correctly, these cars were made some time before, like 1977/6 and had been sitting in some storage facility somewhere.

It was a grand wee car and I did many miles across Europe in her, including a couple of trips over the Pyrenees to the south of Spain. I recall the handling with glee, but lacked the power they subsequently got. I found the heating/demisting system a bind and the lack of a hatchback became an issue when both the dog and son came along.

So the ti was sold and I bought a Golf GTi, which was to last me for 10 years, rock solid. The Sud was a sweet car though!

Henry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts