Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Alfa Romeo GB Alfasud reg numbers

As I am sure some older forum members will be aware there are a series of quite well known reg numbers that appeared on Alfasud's used in road tests and press articles in the 1970's and 1980's. Number series with the prefixes TAN, SRK, PLH, VLL, MLW, LPM, WLM and TLB spring to mind.

In that context, the number plate on the car Welshy has just spotted for sale is quite interesting.

Autocar magazine had a S3 1.5 3 door long term test car on their fleet in 1982-3 with the reg number WLM 779X. It was driven for 12,000 miles by the journalist Edward Eves. His summary in the 5th Feb 83 issue was "Top of the class after 11 years of improvements".

It is reasonably safe to assume that WLM 787X probably belonged to Alfa Romeo GB at Edgware Road North London at one time. If so, it is a nice bit of surviving Alfasud history.

Lets hope someone who will appreciate it manages to buy it for a more sensible price and keeps it going for posterity.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My first Alfasud was a 1982 1.5Ti (95 bhp) which I bought in 1986 - WLM 203X. Sadly it died in a fire in 1995 (as did my garage and some of my house..)

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
As I am sure some older forum members will be aware there are a series of quite well known reg numbers that appeared on Alfasud's used in road tests and press articles in the 1970's and 1980's. Number series with the prefixes TAN, SRK, PLH, VLL, MLW, LPM, WLM and TLB spring to mind.

In that context, the number plate on the car Welshy has just spotted for sale is quite interesting.

Autocar magazine had a S3 1.5 3 door long term test car on their fleet in 1982-3 with the reg number WLM 779X. It was driven for 12,000 miles by the journalist Edward Eves. His summary in the 5th Feb 83 issue was "Top of the class after 11 years of improvements".

It is reasonably safe to assume that WLM 787X probably belonged to Alfa Romeo GB at Edgware Road North London at one time. If so, it is a nice bit of surviving Alfasud history.

Lets hope someone who will appreciate it manages to buy it for a more sensible price and keeps it going for posterity.
Great post.

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
I wonder what a more realistic price might be....I'm guessing the deal would be open to offers. His business seems to be plant gear and wagons, so I'm sure he doesn't want a 'sud cluttering his lot until it dissolves.

On the face of it (dangerous I know) it looks quite nice. I do like the colour.

V

·
0 Posts
I think the price is about right, its not the most desirable model but even so if its fairly good where it needs to be I think its worth the money he's asking, hard to say without looking at it (not that i'm interested though) :)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Interesting.

I've just bought WLL 496X, a Sprint Veloce.

You have to remember that Alfa Romeo London Sales registered all cars supplied through London Dealers (or so I was once lead to believe) so it doesn't mean it was owned by Alfa, but interesting nonetheless.

My first Sprint was C58 SLY, and wore the original ARLS registration plates, yet it definately wasn't owned by Alfa GB. There are a lot of consecutively numbered Alfas of that era, which makes sense when so many are registered from one office.

Buck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is another Sud with the WLM North London reg prefix:

WLM 778X a cream coloured Sprint Veloce complete with a set of very loud "VELOCE" decals on the lower body used for a test in Autosport magazine on 16th Sept 82 and then became a long term test car for What Car magazine in the March 83 issue.

I will try to find time in the next week to put together a list of all the UK Sud road test cars i can find in the period 1974 - 1984 complete with their reg numbers, as it would be interesting to see if other forum members know of any of them (or cars with the same prefix and year letter) that have survived.

In this regard I think i have heard that someone still has one of the first batch of 4 door Sud saloons imported to the UK which carried the reg TAN 42M and was used in an Autocar road test dated 20th Sept 1973.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Mine was originally Rosso Corallo with the same Veloce script down the flanks.

My black Sprint (EEV nnnY - I forget the whole reg, originally supplied by Grange Motors, Brentford) was obviously a bit later but also came with the Veloce script. Unfortunately its now beyond help, so I bought the red one to try and make one good out of two.

·
Registered
843 Posts
My sud is an ex Alfa GB car with a DLR prefix - I've seen a few road test reports with DLS's too.
Off topic, but are the graphics on your car reproductions or original?

I got some orginals off ebay a while back but in the wrong colour and I'm in the process of getting a set made up in silver.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Off topic, but are the graphics on your car reproductions or original?

I got some orginals off ebay a while back but in the wrong colour and I'm in the process of getting a set made up in silver.
Hi, yes they're originals. I'd be interested to see how you get on with having a set made up & how much they cost as I need to get the bottom of the drivers side door repaired which will mean a new graphics will be needed. - most copies I've seen don't get the fading of the dots right.

·
Registered
389 Posts
That blue Alfasud is a saloon, not a hatchback as the seller thinks it is.

I might ask him to try it out :D

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hi, yes they're originals. I'd be interested to see how you get on with having a set made up & how much they cost as I need to get the bottom of the drivers side door repaired which will mean a new graphics will be needed. - most copies I've seen don't get the fading of the dots right.
The price is very reasonable, only £60. Fading effect is done quite well but the dots are bigger than originals, the printing is black on silver with some cutting out rather the original silver on clear. They are also doing me a template for the air filter lid so I spray on the original white text.

I have a full set of originals in black, half a set in white and half a set in silver. I'll check what I have in silver, I might have what you need to do your door. I'm not sure how sticky they would be after 30 years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts