Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Alfasud is converting to a 16V with inboard brakes. To work around the inboard brakes, I plan to fit an ANSA crossover manifold (from a donor 1.7 Carb Sud) modified with the skewed flanges cut from the original 16V system. Maybe not an ideal solution, but it should fit OK. If not, then costly and complex reshaping of the 16V system starts...

EDITED CONTENT follows:

The ANSA manifold terminates at the same diameter as the original 16V (about 50mm) - not 42mm as I originally posted - and in a slightly different location, without the 3-bolt flange for the cat.

So: what off-the-shelf centre and rear mufflers (larger than 50mm) fit a Sud configuration? What would happen (aside from being noisier) if the centre and rear mufflers were larger or different sizes? Local exhaust 'professionals' have little experience or interest in Alfa boxer motors and will 'fly blind' for any custom pipe solution.

I don't want to choke my new 16V, but I also don't want pointlessly large and noisy pipes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
A fair question! Partly it's because I'd recently rebuilt and upgraded the original Sud suspension and brakes. They work fine and it wasn't a cheap exercise in Australia. Also, the 33 outboard system meant changing (and rebuilding) both front and rear suspension and brakes (to move handbrake to the rear) and dealing with the electronic 33 speedo vs. the mechanical Sud speedo. There may have been other issues...so it just seemed easiest to deal with the manifold issue. My early hope that the 16V pipes could be simply tweaked (as the the old 1700 pipes were) to fit around the inboard brakes was so very, very wrong.

OK, I need to edit the original post - the ANSA pipes terminate at the same diameter as the original 16V (about 50mm). So...reference to the 42mm choke point and options must go. I guess I'm now looking at off the shelf centre and rear mufflers that fit the Sud configuration and are no less than 50/52mm...

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
The exhaust system itself on a Sud is very simple, you can make your own using straight pipe with 2x 90deg bends and 2x 60deg bends plus a couple of off-the-shelf silencers.
The manifold is obviously the tricky bit!

As for system size, 50mm bore will be big enough, it is only a 1.7 after all!

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I think Alfasud spares online has an original 50mm centre section for sale currently. Freight to Aus might be a killer though. The rear could be made up fairly easily as David notes.

To clarify your comments on switching to outboard brakes, there is no need to change the gearbox and hence run into the speedo drive issues you mention (although, if you did, fit a box from an outboard braked sprint as they retained the mechanical speedo drive). The 33 style driveshafts bolt right up to the sud box, only trick is to make sure you've got the right spacers to suit.

In fact if you really want to, you can retain the inboard setup just for the handbrake, fit outboard fronts, and keep the sud rear discs. Slightly odd, but there you go.

Overall, I agree with your decision to retain the original brakes - I have in my sprint.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sud 16V manifold and exhaust

Thanks for the help and advice. Rather than widen the ANSA to match the outlets and change the flanges, I've re-used the 16V system. The inner pipes now bend around the inboard brakes and feed into 2" system of free-flow cat (replacing the centre muffler) and rear muffler (angled below the towbar). I hope it sounds OK when it finally gets started.

This saved the rare ANSA pipes to live elsewhere and will help the car to meet government demand for all engine changes to use the donor car's parts (wherever possible) and to pass the necessary, expensive engineering certification (which includes noise and emission testing). And needs to keep on passing when 'random' roadside inspection stations pop-up. I expect some power to be robbed by this (though the cat offers little restriction), but I need to register and insure the car....otherwise it's a sculpture.

Pictures and test results to follow in later posts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sud 16V manifold photos

16V manifold inner pipes cut and bent around Tarox "Japan Sport" discs with good clearance and access to drain plugs. Cat attached with bolts for easy removal. The experienced exhaust installer said don't bother with exhaust wrap to reduce heat on discs...

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
That looks really neat and it's a job I need to tackle soon but I would still be tempted to use heat wrap on the inner pipes at least to help stop the gearbox oil temp going up.

·
Registered
711 Posts
very nice... One of the best Alfasud design features, in my opinion, are the inboard brakes. There is no way I would switch to outboard.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All registered and running after a $1,500 engineer inspection (for 4.5 hrs labour!) and government registration inspection...where I discovered a short in the horn circuit:eek:. The exhaust measured a quiet 90.1 dba at 4,500 rpm (and the fun overrun sound of carburettors has gone). Performance will remain unknown until the running-in period is over...but I expect it to be blunted by the cat (maybe not essential after all) and weight gain. The 16V, extra soundproofing, towbar, full tank etc. added up to a cruising weight of 980 kgs! So much fatter than the new 4C! Using the rough 'top it up' method, fuel consumption was about 6.4 l/100km on an interstate trip...which I think easily betters the old 1500 twin 40mm Weber's usage. Still, it added colour to the AROCA NSW concorso:

http://www.alfaclubnsw.org.au/photo/20130922_concorso/DSC00056.JPG
http://www.alfaclubnsw.org.au/photo/20130922_concorso/DSC00063.JPG
http://www.alfaclubnsw.org.au/photo/20130922_concorso/DSC00060.JPG

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
With that plate, you should have painted it yellow.

I think if you actually want to drive a 4C it will be much the same weight as your sud. 240bhp mind....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts