Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks.

The alarm in my Brera has been randomly going off since I bought it from main dealer as an approved used vehicle in August (56 plate with 4k miles).

I have been advised today that the alarn requires 2 units costing c£350 just for the part, an this is not covered by the warranty:mad:

I can't access the approved used site from work so can anyone provide me with a summary of cover before I go back to the dealer later on.

In farness to the dealer, they said they'd do it at cost for me but it's still a lot of dosh to spend on a car I've done 6k miles in 4 month:(

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Maybe you shouldn’t have had that unpaid day off at the end of last month. :p

Just had a look in my old AutoProtect warranty booklet from when I bought my GTA and I cant find anything that specifically excludes the alarm system but it does say that "communication systems & connected equipment" is excluded and they may say that includes the alarm?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
unlikely, the alarm isn't a communication system, it's a security system.

take it to them, throw the Sale Of Goods Act at them (a car should at least be fit for purpose - free of faults - for 6 months minimum, increasing where price and value increase and age and mileage decrease) and tell them to fix it.

don't pay a penny. if they refuse, tell them you would like a full refund for the car, quote SoGA again. they'll back down.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Its 5 years old; I can understand the frustration but going in shouting your mouth off over the sale of goods act is unlikely to help imo.

The reason I picked that line up was that although the alarm isn’t a communication system it is connected to one and may well be exempt from the policy.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not shouting my mouth off as I have a good relationship with the dealer & they are going by what Alfas warranty company says. They've tried to overturn this too.

What I am looking for is detailed information on the Approved Used Scheme warranty cover as the summary suggests its as good as the new car warranty.

However, I can't find anything on this:(

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
If the alarm has been faulty since you bought the car, I think you might want to suggest that it was supplied to you with a faulty alarm, then (politely) say that it should have been fixed before the car was handed over. You need to do this in a way as to imply that they may have know of the fault. Difficult to prove either way.

They may then ask why you didnt bring the car back earlier, simple, you thought it might have been something you were doing wrong in setting it (claim a degree of ignorance, for the sake of your position) and, you have been meaning to get it back to them.

FWIW, that is the angle I would take.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The alarm sensors were a big problem when the brera's first came out.They were replaced with modified sensors will alfa customer services not help as there was a tech bulletin released to check the part numbers and replace as required.I did have a set if i find them will let you have them

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Approved Used does not automatically apply to any used car sold by an Alfa dealer by the way. You get whatever specific cover you were sold with it - in my case three months' minimal warranty.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Approved Used does not automatically apply to any used car sold by an Alfa dealer by the way. You get whatever specific cover you were sold with it - in my case three months' minimal warranty.
Mine was approved used (or at least that how it was advertised).

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
the SoGA (not wishing to sound like an argument) applies to any car purchased no matter how old it is. you would or should expect that car to have been free from faults (unless described or items subject to general wear and tear) for a minimum period from the purchase date, whether or not a warranty is offered at the point of sale.

the approved used may not apply automagically, but SoGA does. also, a communication system may not be covered by an approved used warranty, but it will be under SoGA as it is not a wear and tear/consumable item. :)

you may not wish to quote this in a sales/service person's face immediately, but if you feel like you're hitting a wall, use it, because it's correct.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
All depends whether the warranty is Premier or Standard cover (assuming 'Approved Used' at your dealer will use the extended products available from Alfacare).

Premier will give you cover on factory fitted alarm systems. Standard cover doesn't appear to provide the cover as listed in brochure. If your Brera was under 60,000 miles at point of sale they should have given you Premier. If not they have 'undersold' you (this obviously saves them money).

I have an electronic copy of the t&cs for 'After Sales Mechanical Breakdown Insurance' given to me by the UK Head of Sales at Alfacare. If you want a copy Simon, pm me with your email address.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts