Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it common practice amongst Alfa owners to mask the fact that there car is built like crap and is somewhat unreliable by saying it has character and soul?

I prefer to say, my car is a bucket of crap-weasels, its ****e but it handles really well but the gokart i had when i was 7 was more reliable. more powerful and used a higher grade paint on the body work.

Generally if i see the word soul in a thread relating to Alfa's I just stop reading.

H

·
0 Posts
I ended up ina barney with a chap on here (who sadly no longer appears to be on the site, not seen him for months) because of this issue.

Basically somebody was having aggro with their 159, some of it was major, and some of it was just minor niggles, squeaks and rattles and so on. But the chap wasn't happy, he'd paid the better part of 30k for this brand new car and expected better.

The poster who I ended up rowing with basically said that squeaks and rattles are part of owning an Alfa, it's all part of the Alfa experience.

When I pointed out to him that anybody spending £20-30k on a car shouldn't expect to have niggles, major or minor, and they certainly shouldn't have to ignore them as part of the alfa experience he lost his rag and started spouting about 'People should buy BMW's if they don't want to experience the little foibles of owning an Alfa.'

Personally? I put up with squeaks and rattles because my car is worth next to nothing, but If I were spending that sort of cash and wasn't happy, then it'd be straight back and left there until it was sorted.

Sadly it is an attitude that is out there, and while things are improving, both in the cars and in the attitudes, some things never seem to change.

Personally? I think my alfa has no more soul than any other 21st century saloon. It's a lovely car, but that's all it is. Not an experience, not anything of the sort. It's just a car.

My 1989 200SX had buckets of soul, it made the driver a part of the car. You felt like you were genuinely involved with the car, a physical part of it. It was noisy, harsh, but gave so much feedback it was unreal. Far more of an experience than i've had from my Alfa.

In my experience, Soul is lacking in almost all modern cars. Older alfas no doubt have it by the bucketload, but so do plenty of other old cars from other marques.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I ended up ina barney with a chap on here (who sadly no longer appears to be on the site, not seen him for months) because of this issue.

Basically somebody was having aggro with their 159, some of it was major, and some of it was just minor niggles, squeaks and rattles and so on. But the chap wasn't happy, he'd paid the better part of 30k for this brand new car and expected better.

The poster who I ended up rowing with basically said that squeaks and rattles are part of owning an Alfa, it's all part of the Alfa experience.

When I pointed out to him that anybody spending £20-30k on a car shouldn't expect to have niggles, major or minor, and they certainly shouldn't have to ignore them as part of the alfa experience he lost his rag and started spouting about 'People should buy BMW's if they don't want to experience the little foibles of owning an Alfa. Personally? I put up with squeaks and rattles because my car is worth next to nothing, but If I were spending that sort of cash and wasn't happy, then it'd be straight back and left there until it was sorted.

Sadly it is an attitude that is out there, and while things are improving, both in the cars and in the attitudes, some things never seem to change.

Personally? I think my alfa has no more soul than any other 21st century saloon. It's a lovely car, but that's all it is. Not an experience, not anything of the sort. It's just a car.

My 1989 200SX had buckets of soul, itmade the driver a part of the car. You felt like you were genuinely involved with the car, a physical part of it. Far more of an experience than i've had from my Alfa.

In my experience, Soul is lacking in almost all modern cars. Older alfas no doubt have it by the bucketload, but so do plenty of other old cars from other marques.
Good post :thumbs:

How can something inexpertly assembled by robots in a factory have soul?

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
How can something inexpertly assembled by robots in a factory have soul?
Design, I guess. I have owned and driven plenty of robot-assembled cars. I prefer the Alfa to them all.

Since I am not so far gone as to think that Italian robots have more latin verve, I am forced to conclude that it is in the design.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts

When I pointed out to him that anybody spending £20-30k on a car shouldn't expect to have niggles, major or minor, and they certainly shouldn't have to ignore them as part of the alfa experience he lost his rag and started spouting about 'People should buy BMW's if they don't want to experience the little foibles of owning an Alfa.'

Personally? I put up with squeaks and rattles because my car is worth next to nothing, but If I were spending that sort of cash and wasn't happy, then it'd be straight back and left there until it was sorted.

My 1989 200SX had buckets of soul, it made the driver a part of the car. You felt like you were genuinely involved with the car, a physical part of it. It was noisy, harsh, but gave so much feedback it was unreal. Far more of an experience than i've had from my Alfa.

Have to agree with everything there HST, why almost expect imperfection on an expensive new car?
My old BMW528i (1982 Getrag reverse dogleg gearbox) had soul, particularly when it was trying to kill you exiting a roundabout in the wet.

K

·
0 Posts
Italian robots clearly have more verve. Who remembers the Fiat Strada advert from the 70s?

I think my 156 has more character than anything else I could buy of the same age for the same money. I like the fact that there aren't that many of them about too. Imagine the spotted thread on a Mundano forum. "Saw 328 today. 327 silver hatchbacks and 1 black saloon. Were any of them you?"

It has its faults and I'm not blind to them but I like driving old cars and they've all had faults. As with my old Mini, it isn't the faults that give it character, it's the character that makes it easier to put up with the faults.

If I spent 30 grand on a brand new one that had the same faults I would be rather less than happy though.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I think i would expect niggles with a brand new Alfa. Hopefully wont be as serious as a used car but they will still be there.

I was behind a brand new 159 saloon the other week with a big gap in the brake light filter and white light dazzling out!

H

·
0 Posts
I think you're referring to a well known mentalist late of this Parrish who hailed from down under if not mistaken ?
I couldn't possibly say ;) :lol:

-incidentally you should have seen a couple of the PM's he sent me, they'd have made a sailor blush. And I was fortunate enough in one PM to be invited up to see him, to (quote)settle this issue(unquote)

All very grown up :lol:

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
I put up with the rattles, knocks and squeeks because last time I went to a dealership things got messy :eek: :lol:

Actually, I'm going to ring mango's now, these noises are getting to much.

Christ I'm only on the phone and things aren't going well. . . . Apparently my car isn't registered to anyone :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Now I'm on hold. . .

I can see a new rant thread coming on....
:lol: :lol:

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
best thing i bought for my 147 was a audio upgrade, drowns out all the rattles as nothing else seemed to work.:lol:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Cracking thread. I voted with my wallet and went German, still love the Alfa brand but refused to spend big money on a newish car (a 159 or a GT) which was 'broadly' similar to it's competitors but had reliability issues and fairly poor dealer backup. I've no doubt that they'll get their act together and I'll come back.

I think that the 'soul' left along with RWD and the introduction of in-line-4-cylinder engines instead of the old Alfa roar.

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
To me the soul of an Alfa is the feelgood factor I get from them more than I've had from any other car in 30+ years of driving. The reason for that feeling is indefinable to an extent, hence the reason, I think, the word "soul" is applied to it.

The contrary to this was the A4 I had, which was reasonably reliable and more or less rattle free (although the materials left something to be desired) but it really left me completely cold. So much so that I really came to dislike it and when it went I was never been happier to see the back of a car. Similarly I've never owned a BMW but have driven a few - I've always come away wondering what all the fuss is about.

The Alfa "soul" does not excuse shoddy build quality or poor reliability but I imagine it can make it easier to live with (although to be honest I've experienced those things in only one of the four Alfas I've owned).

V

·
0 Posts
i dont know or care if my alfa has a soul, passion or full of character all i know is it gives me an orgasmic smile every time i drive it, and a semi when i look at it. :)

the fuel guage does tend to break my heart though :(

1 - 20 of 55 Posts