Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another source has outlined Alfa's future with another development plan revealed by Fiat.

There are no new models in the plans (that we havent already heard of) however more specific details have come to hand such as the Giulia arriving in 2013, the 4C arriving at the end of next year, a 5-door Mito and SUV.

::ITALIASPEED::

Have a browse guys, its one of the first articles on the page.

Salute, Giordano.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Thanks G

Seems like it's a case of "coast through 2012 with the existing model range", then lots of new stuff in 2013. Hopefully the sales bump from the Giulietta will lost that long..

·
Registered
934 Posts
Obviously more important to revive Chrysler than Alfa.. there is a lot more money to be made from Chrysler, the volumes involved are going to be much more in Chrysler than with Alfa.

I guess we will see a bunch of new versions of the Mito (GTA) and the Giullietta for next year. Mind you we have had a surprise from Alfa with the 4C who is to say we might get another surprise or two.

:)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Still not convinced the 4C will see the light of day. If it does it will be in small numbers as the 8C, so not really going to add a huge number of sales to Alfa books IMHO. More important to get the 159 replacement out there instead. Seems pointless having a six year old model struggling on for another two years!

Also, if Sergio plans to make Alfa just another branch of Chrysler to get into the US market, then why wait to get the SUV and Guilia out!

I will believe it when I see it as far as this presentation goes. After all, FIAT have been talking about the Alfa relaunch into the US for years.:rolleyes:

G

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the link. The Giulia will be crucial for Alfa's future but it seems like it is having a challenging birth. But for the time being Alfa is lower priority, sorting Fiat and Chrysler are higher priority. Plenty of challenges there that need addressing.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
934 Posts
Marius

The previous promises about Alfa back in the US were pre Marchionne I think he will deliver he has a good record for delivering and his promises since take over seem to have all been delivered on time. I am certain he will produce the 4C, its too heavily featured on Alfa's websites its going to be produced thats certain.

Fiat are running to catch up and be big enough to compete globally ... the next 2 years will be crucial.
The new spider has been in the plans for a while now, it will be on a chrysler RWD platform (new crossfire)

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Marchionne said Fiat would return to the US, and that has now happened with the 500

He has also stated that the management team now needs to shift focus onto Europe

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think i do see the 4C working, (if it does make production) i mean the GT would be described as "successful" as it was a cut/copy job and still managed to produce 80,000 units during its life span. But this is only because it was a decent car. Light, quick (3.2 V6), gorjuz to look at, it offered a pretty good drive, it was practical and above all was priced fairly well. So you could say it was a good car. Weigh it up the Brera which managed to sell only 30,000 units with the inclusion of Spider sales then you need to ask yourself where did Alfa go wrong? To me the Brera was still a great car, but i guess the niggles put people off. It wasnt quick enough to be considered a sports coupe, and it wasnt practical enough to be considered a grand tourer.

The 4C will work if Alfa make it work, firstly they need to ensure that performance figures are high amongst its rivals namely the Audi TT. Everyone knows the power/weight ratio will not be the same as the concept. If Alfa can match performance, and no doubt they will match looks, this mid-engined, light RWD sports car may work.

Salute, Giordano.

G

·
0 Posts
I think i do see the 4C working, (if it does make production) i mean the GT would be described as "successful" as it was a cut/copy job and still managed to produce 80,000 units during its life span. But this is only because it was a decent car. Light, quick (3.2 V6), gorjuz to look at, it offered a pretty good drive, it was practical and above all was priced fairly well. So you could say it was a good car. Weigh it up the Brera which managed to sell only 30,000 units with the inclusion of Spider sales then you need to ask yourself where did Alfa go wrong? To me the Brera was still a great car, but i guess the niggles put people off. It wasnt quick enough to be considered a sports coupe, and it wasnt practical enough to be considered a grand tourer.

The 4C will work if Alfa make it work, firstly they need to ensure that performance figures are high amongst its rivals namely the Audi TT. Everyone knows the power/weight ratio will not be the same as the concept. If Alfa can match performance, and no doubt they will match looks, this mid-engined, light RWD sports car may work.

Salute, Giordano.
Agree. But remember, the GT was a very successful tweak of the existing 156 and 147 (so low risk), whereas the 4C is brand new (so high risk). And you are right, if the performance figures are not good, it will be hard to see people paying £45,000 for it. That's the challenge they have - can they deliver the power to weight ratio needed in a production car? I hope they can do it.

I'm surprised they didn't do a MiTo GTA. They had the concept ready to go, it would have been a sure fire success and would have added a nice halo to the MiTo range. And much lower risk financially.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm surprised they didn't do a MiTo GTA. They had the concept ready to go, it would have been a sure fire success and would have added a nice halo to the MiTo range. And much lower risk financially.

Cheers,

Nigel
Thats what i dont understand? Alfa at the current moment do not have a single "High performance" vehicle in their range. G QV and Mito QV aside they still arent producing record setting figures. So be it, they are economical and great engines. I agree with you Nigel, a Mito/Giulietta GTA would sit right up there with the best of Golf, S3's and 1 Series. Who knows what Alfa has planned for the Mito facelift, perhaps its on the cards?

Salute, Giordano.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I'd say the Cloverleaf models were reasonably high performance, albeit no 'M' series competitors. I'm more worried that Alfa has no Spiders for sale at all and 1 old diesel Coupe! So for the next 1-2 years at least (?) Alfa only makes 2 hatchbacks and 1 obsolete sedan.

Hopefully the spider will re-appear in the shape of a 2uettottanta, and a GT replacement will be available soon. Hopefully with RWD and hopefully with some sort of V6 option. Please?!?!

G

·
0 Posts
No GT/Brera replacement soon, the 4C is as close as you will get. I think you'll have to wait for the Giulia series for a new coupe (2013). V6 is on the cards but will be based on the Chrylser Pentastar unit. Which by all accounts isn't a bad engine, but it's no Busso.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Thanks G

Seems like it's a case of "coast through 2012 with the existing model range", then lots of new stuff in 2013. Hopefully the sales bump from the Giulietta will lost that long..
Sales bump? I've only ever seen 3 on the road ever. I think there might have been one at Auto Italia which was quite poor as the alfa turn out was very strong.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Sales bump? I've only ever seen 3 on the road ever. I think there might have been one at Auto Italia which was quite poor as the alfa turn out was very strong.

Obviously a bit tight in your part of the world:p.

I passed 4 on the way to work yesterday, I know of 2 in the local area. I think it is selling well.

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
Plenty of Giulietta and MiTo's in my part of the world too. 159 even after 5/6 years is rare, there are more 156's around

1 - 20 of 24 Posts