Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am a typical gigantic american (6'6") and am trying to plan out my car rental for my trip to europe. I post here because 2 out of the 3 rentals I will need will be in italy and in looking at the offerings online I am most likely looking at either an alfa 147 or 159.

One of the rentals will be to spend a week enjoying all the amazing roads in the alps and so while I never want to rent a car that I cannot fit into comfortably, that is especially important in this case since the whole act of driving the car for several days is what I am looking forward to (as opposed to renting it just to get from point A to point B).

so I am basically looking for some feedback on how much room I can expect to have in these alfa's and/or if maybe there are other cars I should try to find for rentals (that have more room). The main issue with me is legroom. I have hardly ever been in a car where I do not have enough headroom (I can just recline the seat if I need to) but legroom is always a crapshoot.

I have been in midsize to fullsize sedans before with less legroom than some compacts that I have owned so I hesitate to assume the 159 will have a lot more room than the 147....it seems to make a big difference how high or low the seat is positioned and how high or low the dash is designed.....this is especially important since I will probably be driving a manual transmission car so being able to move my leg will be key.

thanks for any input you can offer!

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm 6'2", and don't need to have the seat in my 159 all the way back, if I go back the last two clicks, I can't reach the pedals, but how do the leather Lusso seats compare with the standard ones? A minor problem you have to get used to if you're tall is the position and size of the B posts, which are right by your head if you sit well back, and create a significant blind spot, but you get used to having to move your head forwards to see properly at junctions etc. I'm a bit tight for legroom in a 147 though, and I find the pedal positioning uncomfortable when driving any distance. Every car I've ever driven, I have to have the wheel at the closest setting, and it's still slightly further away than I'd like. Nothing really wrong with the 147, but the design is feeling its age just a little, the 159 is a far superior car in most respects.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm 6' 1" so not quite in the same league as yourself slug but I have no problems with the 147. If I push the seat all the way back I can't even see the pedals let alone touch them and that's with the leather lusso trim. I haven't driven a 159 so don't know what it's like but the 147 is comfortable and fun, so perfect for going round mountain roads :lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info!

autoeurope allows me to book a 147 with a "guaranteed upgrade". Any guesses as to whether that would put me into a 159 or maybe some sort of mid-sized wagon like a peugeot or renault or something?

I made out like a bandit in germany a couple years ago when my "passat" with guaranteed upgrade turned into my choice of an Audi TT or a C-Class...but im not sure that it always works out that well...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts