Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
There's some good info on the alfaBB concerning restoration of dashboards. I'd have thought a grp dash would rattle about & have a bit of a cheap feel, unless it was covered with something anyway?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's some good info on the alfaBB concerning restoration of dashboards. I'd have thought a grp dash would rattle about & have a bit of a cheap feel, unless it was covered with something anyway?
Thx swallow saw your resto thread and didnt fancy 50 hours on the dash!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I had an Alfa panels dash in my GTA Rep. the original was beyond economic repair. Easy fit, doesn't rattle or squeak, and, because the mould was taken from an original, it has the textured finish of the originals too, thus getting away from the cheap feel.

I had enquired on several upholstery companies, really to get a feel for how much it would be to recover, and produce me a similar one to the Alfaholics - built cars.
Most didn't want to know, the ones that did wanted around £1000
Good weight saving. My shell was built by Bob, with all the outer GRP panels, and I was sceptical of the dash, thinking it may rattle or squeak, and, as I was going up every couple of weeks to do my part on the car, was going to fit a thin, u-shaped silicon rubber moulding to the edges to eliminate any possibility of this.
Bob beat me to it and fitted it without, but I needn't have worried, as there were no such noises.
The new owner loves it too.
Just make sure you paint it in Satin black before fitment, Bob painted it in an 80% gloss, and the result was that it had to be matted down a bit. Once that was done, it was perfect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts