Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all, I (and in Pasi's name) would like to say thank you to everyone who participated in this First AO photo competition and, congratulate you all for the magnificent effort in order to make this possible. No piccies, no show…

This is a first experience that I'm sure will become regular. There are a lot of you who enjoy doing photography and I hope this will wake up you're motivation to show your work to all of us.

As you must have read before, the rules could have changed without notice. They actually didn't changed but I would like to propose 2 things:

• Start a period of discussion, right here, till next Monday (18th), when we'll start a necessary number of polls so you can vote in your favourite shot.
  • Because the size of the received shots was very different from each others, I've resize them to a smaller size (600pixels for the biggest side). The quality remains untouched, and every file is smaller them 100kb (max size allowed to upload to the AO server).
As this is the first time we're doing it, I'm going to be flexible (and I'm sure you'll understand) and ask for the 2 members who have submitted their photos (but in a very small size) to send them to me till next Friday. Otherwise, it's going to be too late.

Please, ladies and gentlemen's, comment but don't identify your photos.

In the mean time we might get some nice price for the winner. ;)

Thank you everybody. :)

P.S. place your mouse over the images and identify them by their number.

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
4 more photos...

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and more...

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
one more set...

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and the last set...

·
Registered
45,472 Posts
Just had a quick look, but it's got to be said.... Wow!! :cool:

U

·
0 Posts
So, I guess we're supposed to be discussing these...? Well, here's my thoughts....

*** I'm editing this because I've just read Hugo's line about hovering mouse over shots for their number - I was just numbering them as they appeared - you're deliberately trying to confuse me, Hugs!! ***

Firstly, these are all really top pictures and everyone who submitted a shot should be v. proud... :)

My favourite picture from all of these is the dam shot (#16) - I think it's in interesting subject from a great perspective and it's really nicely framed - top notch stuff... :cool:

I also particularly like #'s 1 (rear view mirror) and 2 (snowy tree) - my only 'criticism' of #2 is that it may have been cropped a bit tight...? I'd have liked to have seen the whole tree in the shot. But....wow, fantastic! :cool:

#12 (snowy mountains) is stunning - could be from National Geographic (is it? :tut: ;) )

#13 (strange plant, with dried mud field) is also stunning and a really striking subject - again, my only 'criticism' is that I think the depth could have been altered to have the whole shot in focus, maybe...?

#15 (sea and horizon at sunset) is also a really nice shot (good, straight horizon, which I never manage :D ), but perhaps more sea or more sky, rather than a 50/50 split might have made it more striking....?

I've put question-marks after all of my comments, because I don't want to sound like I'm a know-it-all; I definately don't know everything about photography (although I share my home with an addict...) so these are just off-the-cuff opinions. Anyway, I'd be happy to have any of these pictures framed and on my wall.....so, are they reproduction-free? :D ;)

- Lips

U

·
0 Posts
I've edited my comments, due to a misinterpretation of Hugo's numbering system - Hugo-ish at it's finest, lost in translation! :p :D

Come on, people.... there's not much discussing going on...

- Lips

·
Super Moderator
44,893 Posts
You want me to write something?
OK. I'm jealous of #5 coz he stayed in the Bellagio, while I just had to watch the fountains from the street.
Is that the sort of think you were after? :D

No, as said before, there are some great shots there, but I'm not really arty enough myself to feel comfortable discussing them in depth.
I'm very interested to hear other peoples thoughts though :)

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UnpredictableLips said:
I've edited my comments, due to a misinterpretation of Hugo's numbering system - Hugo-ish at it's finest, lost in translation! :p :D
:lol: Actually it was not my fault. The minute after I've upload the piccies I notice that they were not in the correct order. Seems like they don't want to be in order! :rolleyes: :D

That's why, it's alwasy better to check their number. ;)

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Dropped in on my way past to see how things were going (I'm no more than a lurker at the moment :rolleyes: ).

The standard is superb and my favourite is the tree stump. Beautifully captured and wonderful colours. The framing really suits the picture too. Can't wait to see how the competition progresses.

·
Premium Member
38,310 Posts
I figured that the best way to pick one would be by thinking about it hanging on my living room.

And I choose #4, hands down. :cool:

·
Registered
827 Posts
Awesome photos guys,extemely hard to pick one.
I'm particularly fond of #'s 4,5 &12

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Rather though competition!!! :eek:

Should of but more into my photo ;)

Let's see where this discussion goes :D

Oh, and as stated in the rules... Do not reveal or try to guess the taker of the photos!
This can be discussed after the polls have closed :)

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
I like the #002 /red arrows/ because of the great striking diagonal composition. The framing is great too, leaving more free space in the flight direction. It is not easy to frame the whole squadron in this way.

#014 /macro shot/ is great too. Though two main subjects confuse me a bit. I dont know if the main subject is the ant or the flower.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I can't find a reason to choose no. 13....All photos are really nice, but this one...hum, it might be because of its colors... ;)

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice to see you're talking about the piccies. :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts