Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Been reading a few posts on this Alfadiag software and feel that maybe I could benefit from it in the future! However, according to the website you cannot use a usb to serial connector, but from what some of you guys have said it looks like you can!

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to if you can or can't use a connector, as my laptop doesn't have a serial port! Also does anyone know how much it is to purchase the full version, just out of curiosity, as I think the website is having problems!

Many Thanks,
Tony.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
there is a conversion program to emulate an RS232 on a USB port i.e. COM3 it is included in my package... and it does work !! I use it myself :)

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
A serial interface needs to be used on a proper RS232 Serial port.
A USB-Serial adapter does not provice a proper RS232.

As Chris said, you buy a usb version of the OBD KKL interface.

The Alfadiag website is working fine now.
Price is 59.95Euros for the AlfaDiag software.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
unquote
not true, I use the USB cable on a emulated USB port and Alfadiag (and Examiner for that matter) works properly ..
I use a Toshiba duo core with Vista and some say that it will not work
properly on that combination, but it does !
soo many stories... but the proof is in the eating of the pudding !

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
not true, I use the USB cable on a emulated USB port and Alfadiag (and Examiner for that matter) works properly ..
So let me get this straight, you have a USB cable plugged into your laptop and then run an RS232 emulator to make it behave like a serial port? is that right?

I think the issue with Alfa Diag is when you take an RS232 cable and plug it into a separate box that will then convert it to USB, which I think is the opposite to your setup ...

... as a side note, where did you get examiner from and how easy was it to get to work???

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
So let me get this straight, you have a USB cable plugged into your laptop and then run an RS232 emulator to make it behave like a serial port? is that right?

I think the issue with Alfa Diag is when you take an RS232 cable and plug it into a separate box that will then convert it to USB, which I think is the opposite to your setup ...

... as a side note, where did you get examiner from and how easy was it to get to work???
Hi Chris,
you first assumption is right ! just the usb plugged straight in and software does the trick.
Examiner is too heavy for dedicated Alfa owners, it contains all FIAT cars (Fiat, Lancia, Alfa Rome) you have to go through too many
screens and too many ECU types. Alfadiag is what is says , Alfa ECU's only (9 Bosch motronics). Moreover Examiner screws up you windows registry and makes your laptop a dedicated Examiner..
(and it is f*cking slow !)
I have sent a couple of copies to AO members and some of them got it working others are till this day fighting with it. It only runs on W95 or 98
Your last question, my brother is chief mechanic in an Alfa dealership
very handy if you drive one of them temperamental Italian mistresses
I can tell you ! and you learn things from the horses mouth:p
regards Dolf

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
unquote
Hi Chris,
you first assumption is right ! just the usb plugged straight in and software does the trick.
Hi Rarebear.
You have the wrong idea of what we mean when we say "USB-Serial" converter.
A USB-Serial converter is a cable that plugs into the USB port on your laptop and has a 9-pin serial port on the other end. It will work with many serial devices, but it doesn't work with an OBD-Serial device.
If you have an OBD-Serial device you need a PCMCIA or Expresscard serial port.
The issue is that the basic USB-Serial converters are not a true RS232 and the software (ie AlfaDiag) can't control the port speed properly.

Most people will be buying the all-in-one OBD-USB device now, which will work with AlfaDiag.

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
Tony said his laptop doesn't have a serial port (see original post), so the converter isn't necessary anyway. Like the rest of you have said, just buy a USB VAGCOM interface cable and you're off and running.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Tony said his laptop doesn't have a serial port (see original post), so the converter isn't necessary anyway.
unless you were trying to use an OBD-Serial interface. Which is where the question about USB-Serial converters comes from.

Like the rest of you have said, just buy a USB VAGCOM interface cable and you're off and running.
yep

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Hi David,
thanks for elaborate answer, you are right ! I had the USB to 16pin OBD2 (which I use) in mind.
This forum is great for setting all noses in the same direction as we say in Holland :lol:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Bobda, looked at your link, what does that do / connect to and how does it help? I am trying to talk to my 2001 156 jtd using laptop based Gendan engine check pro that we have at work. Bearing in mind that when i left school calculators weren't allowed in class, no, really, so not that quick when it comes to I.T.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
It won't help you.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
There are certain USB to Serial adapters which have some electronics built into the adapter which then appear to work the same as a serial port............we have some which we use at work where we need to control port speed etc - normal adapters dont work correctly

We used to use PCMCIA serial adapters but they were too expensive - actually have plenty of them lying in the office now because no one uses them anymore :lol:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Still means nowt to me - apart from the it won't work bit.

S

·
0 Posts
A usb to car cable works fine. Windows update automatically installs the best drivers and it just works. I used AlfaDiag on a three year old tosh laptop using a ross tech cable (with airbag mod) it worked fine.

There are warnings about using USB cables, this was back when the software couldn't modify the coms speed through them. Modern drivers can modulate the throughput to match the profiles in the software as needed.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
There are warnings about using USB cables, this was back when the software couldn't modify the coms speed through them. Modern drivers can modulate the throughput to match the profiles in the software as needed.
It actually dates back to when all you could get were OBD-Serial.
It never applied to the OBD-USB.

·
Registered
138 Posts
All very interesting, and my big question is...

If I got the AlfaDiag software (and my old laptop has a serial port!), what kind of things can it tell me or do for me that I might find useful?? I imagine it's just for diagnosis of issues, anything else?? Where does it plug in?? (2002 147 2.0 SSpeed)

Cheers for any info.
TiggerK

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
It plugs into the main diagnostic (OBD) port.
It can check the Engine ECU, Selespeed ECU and Airbag ECU.
It also calibrates your Selespeed system.
It also has a dyno type function, but I've never tried that bit.

Read through the AlfaDiag website...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts