Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Any Alfadiag exprts out there? I've just bought a copy and a VAG - COM KLL lead from ECUfix but I'm not having much success!

The LED on the lead comes on when I plug I into the OBD socket but that's about all!

I have two cars here that I'm trying to connect to.

1. a 1999 1.8 TS (ECU M1.5.5) It simply won't connect. I just get the error message asking if it's plugged in and the ignition is on.

2. a 2002 2.0 JTS (ECU MED7.11) On this one, when I do the same thing I get the error message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

Anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I'm not especially IT-literate so it could easily be something I'm doing with the laptop. It's an old IBM Thinkpad and I'm using the serial port COM1 : Serial0. It's a PIII 700MHz with 256M of RAM running XP Pro with Service Pack 2. There aren't any other programmes running in the background.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just the back of the laptop. The blue serial port (at least I think it's the serial port - it's the only one the lead would fit into)!

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
Is it a male connector on the laptop?

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
Just the back of the laptop. The blue serial port (at least I think it's the serial port - it's the only one the lead would fit into)!

On all our laptops, Blue is the VIDEO output (female socket) ... serial is male socket (visible pins). The socket in the end of the interface cable doesn't have pins visible ie it's a female socket.

So you probably bought the wrong interface and really need a USB cable. Newer laptops don't have a serial interface.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty certain I've got the right one. On the back of the laptop, it's male (i.e. I can see the pins). The video output on the laptop is the opposite sex and has a pictre of a monitor above it, while the one I'm connecting to has a sort of "square waveform" symbol above it. On the lead, there are no pins visible, just holes.

It only has one USB socket and that's USB 1 rather than the current USB 2, so I assume it wouldn't be fast enough. Laptop must be the best part of 8 years old!

I think I'll try connecting it to the internet and see if I can download all the various Windows updates that are bound to have come out since I originally installed XP!

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
Ok, you have the right connection.

If you have never updated XP then you need to...
For a start there is service pack 3.
You also need the .Net services for AlfaDiag to work.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, it's a laptop that the kids use for watching DVDs in the car, so I've never bothered in the past, but I've got it connected to the 'net now and am currently downloading my first (!) 50 Meg of updates!!!

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
This bit is very important:
"Install the latest version of the .NET Framework Version 2.0"

It will not work without it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
sorry to jump on thread but still on topic i have a 156 selepeed v reg have just ordered a cable for alfadiag just wanted to know which ecu my car has ,noticed when you start alfadiag theres a box where you pick ecu , also noticed someone selling an alfadiag license on this site just wondering if they were transferable dont wanna pay for a fake license that wont update ETC

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
Selespeed engine ECU is an ME3.1

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
also noticed someone selling an alfadiag license on this site just wondering if they were transferable don't wanna pay for a fake license that wont update ETC
I'm sure the licence agreement says you can't sell it.
I can't find the exact wording at the moment though.

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
I'm sure the licence agreement says you can't sell it.
I can't find the exact wording at the moment though.
Here it is:

"Licence Agreement
License Summary
The Title, ownership rights and intellectual property rights in and to the Software shall remain the ownership of Derek Goslin.

You are licensed to use a copy of the software on a single machine.

You may transfer the software from on machine to another up to a maximum of two times. A new license key will need to be obtained.

You may not transfer the software to another user."

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I should be all up to date now. The ".NET Framework" thing had already been downloaded and installed before I started trying, but I guess it will have been pver-written by whatever Microsoft has just downloaded.

Unfortunately, still no joy. Won't connect to the older car at all (still asks if the ignition is on) and gives the same error message on the newer car.

I tried running a test on the "test" tab and it won't connect to the ECU at all, but if I select "ECU slow ini" (or whatever it's called), it does appear to receive some data back.

Anyway, rain and darkness have stopped play for now and I'm away a bit next week but I guess I ought to contact them if it's nothing simple. I was wondering whether I might have cocked things up by installing the software after downloading the ".NET framework" but before doing all the windows updates?

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
It should be ok, but you can reinstall AlfaDiag over the top of the original install. Just the same as you would when doing an upgrade.

Also, in the Configure, Interface area, increase the ECU Response Timeout in the KWP & ISO tabs.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone, I'm upand running now! There was a bug with the programme. Alfadiag have just released the latest version and it all works fine now.

Is there a handy list of fault code descriptions anywhere? The 2.0 JTS is "clean" but there are three codes coming up on the 1.8TS.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts