Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all......My engine Management light has come on with no noticeable side effects...So I was going to purchase the Alfadiag software......I believe I would need a special usb lead to plug in to my netbook?.....Where is the cheapest or best place to get this?.....Also, where would I plug it into in the vehicle....I have a Phase 3 GTV 2.0L JTS........Can this also be used on my 156 Facelift 2.0L JTS, and again, where is the plug in point?......Thank you all in advance!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you go to the alfadiag website you will find a link to the cable needed. I purchased one through there and it has an USB connection for your laptop.

D

·
0 Posts
The phase 2 gtv and 156/147 can use the same vw kkl lead so cant see why ph3 would be different.
The connector on the ts ph2 is in the fuse box under steering wheel.
BTW Alfadiag is now open source - I think Chris 156 ( maybe ) posted the link a few days ago

D

·
0 Posts
The phase 2 gtv and 156/147 can use the same vw kkl lead so cant see why ph3 would be different.
The connector on the ts ph2 is in the fuse box under steering wheel.
BTW Alfadiag is now open source - I think Chris 156 ( maybe ) posted the link a few days ago

·
Registered
768 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.....So Alfadiag being "open source"..(found the website)....Is that a full version or still a demo...ie. do you still need to purchase a license??....Also, is it easy to use/useful, to pretty much a non mechanical Alfa addict?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
While Alfa diag is now open source I think it still has the inbuilt restrictions. The free FiatECUScan (FES) will read and reset most (all?) engine fault codes.

If you do get FES then it is probably worth getting this lead set as it will allow so much more than just engine ECU reading. One day you WILL need to reset the airbag light on your 156. Something will role under the seat and hit the plug connector or someone will move the seat. On these ecars that is enough to cause the airbag light to come on. An airbag light is still an MOT failure.

Links:-

FES
FiatECUScan - Fiat, Alfa, Lancia ECU Reader / Scanner

Main and adaptor cables
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-FIAT-DIAGNOSTIC-LEAD-CABLE-FIATECUSCAN-KKL-VAG-/250964783106?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3a6eaab002

USB Driver (sometimes works without sometimes doesn't!)
D2XX Direct Drivers

Once plugged into your car it may not connect. There are two probable and one rare possible reason.

1. The OBD connector in the car has surface corrosion. Just unplugging and re-connecting the cable a few times is enough to clean this and make a connection.
2. The windows "port" needs its driver upgraded to the one in the link I have shown above. When you plug the cable into your laptop and before connecting to the car you will get a new port under PORTS. It is that port that needs the new driver.
3. There is one recorded instance of a car having wires behind its OBD connector loose and not connected.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Could i jump on this thread and ask the same only about the airbag on my phase 3 spider
iv'e had the light turned off at every service only for it to reappear on the drive home, every time

Do i need to buy FiatECUScan version or will the free on do

will a cheep obd2 cable do or do you recommend i buy the switchable one,

my mot due in a week,

thanks

·
Registered
768 Posts
Could i jump on this thread and ask the same only about the airbag on my phase 3 spider
iv'e had the light turned off at every service only for it to reappear on the drive home, every time
Do i need to buy FiatECUScan version or will the free on do
will a cheep obd2 cable do or do you recommend i buy the switchable one,
my mot due in a week
Use the free one, the paid version offers very little extra and if you find later on that you do in fact want to have the extra features buy it then. I would recommend you get the cable that kandlbarrett sugested, it has the adaptor especially for airbags as detailed on the FiatECUScan website, makes things more straightforward at little extra cost.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have the cable with the 4 microswitches so you can interchange between engine ecu, airbag etc. Successfully cleared several faults. Personally I find Fiat ECU scan slightly easier as you select the car you want rather than having to know what Motronic system is in the car. I would just install both and see which one you prefer.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
I have the cable with the 4 microswitches so you can interchange between engine ecu, airbag etc. Successfully cleared several faults. Personally I find Fiat ECU scan slightly easier as you select the car you want rather than having to know what Motronic system is in the car. I would just install both and see which one you prefer.
Is your car a ph1 or ph2?

I also have the cable with the 4 microswitches but still haven't been able to connect to the air bag ECU :confused::mad:

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I had switch 2 on but still no joy!

Mines a ph1 and a bit more of a nightmare to work out :rolleyes:
On the ph1 leave the switch set to the one for the ecu, regardless of whether you are connecting to the airbag,abs,flux capacitor. The 3pin fiat to obd lead will only connect the data line to the ecu pin on the odb connector.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is the cable to connect to near the steering wheel for the 159 or somewhere else - bit of a newbie with the diag software stuff

thanks in advance for any help

1 - 19 of 19 Posts