Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

As I've said before I'm a complete noob when it comes to anything to do with cars, and currently have the fuel injector (engine management system) and airbag light on on my car and it's due an nct.

Both have been cleared in the past from the service history, the fuel injector light is the cam sensor. How easy it it to clear these using alfadiag and the relevant cable? I know where the fusebox is and have the software, so just need the cable.

Thanks guys :)

L

·
0 Posts
you need to buy a KKL interface from eBay & then solder pins 7 to 3 to 1 [ within the interface ] alfadiag is easy enough to use, FiatEcuScan is easier

M

·
0 Posts
The engine light being on is not an nct issue but the reason for it being on could affect emissions hope this helps

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need to solder pins! Can't I just plug it in and erase the codes? Can I manage to avoid soldering if I use ecuscan?

I'm getting different opinions about the fuel injector light and whether or not it's an nct fail, everything I read say it's not as it's a petrol, my mechanic and others disagree! I'm tempted to print out and read the nct manual and see which is true :)

L

·
0 Posts
no, you need to solder

re the injector light, i thought that ANY error light was a failure, Mario he'd know best

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apparently for diesel engines, it's a failure, for petrol it's not, but it depends on who you ask :)

I'm thinking back to my pc building days, soldering shouldn't be a huge undertaking?

Although for the NCT and until I learn I'm tempted to go into Gerry to get him to clear the codes as he has before :)

Clear them and find any other issues it will fail on :)

M

·
0 Posts
Apparently for diesel engines, it's a failure, for petrol it's not, but it depends on who you ask :)
Yes that is true but the diesel EML is to be ignored unless there is an obvious running issue that it is deemed unsafe to rev the engine.... but the manufacturers put those lights in for a reason so why do people drive for so long without getting it checked out

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes that is true but the diesel EML is to be ignored unless there is an obvious running issue that it is deemed unsafe to rev the engine.... but the manufacturers put those lights in for a reason so why do people drive for so long without getting it checked out
Mine has been checked out twice it's the cam sensor and has occured after a timing belt change going by the service history, and has just been reset both times, and is fine.

I'm getting the timing belt variator etc changed in the new year, so hopefully that will deal with it.

M

·
0 Posts
Ah sure happy days as some lads did damage these sensors when using the cam pulley tools..

·
Registered
387 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Some of the cables you buy on ebay already have the soldering done. Mine worked out of the box but I dont have a link anymore sorry.

The cam sensor error could also be simply that the timing was set wrong, and not necessarily a failing phase sensor.
As Lacken says these can get damaged during a belt change, but in my experience they are completely failed and would light up the injector light constantly even after a reset.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts