Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can your engine be run while using the software for alfadiag on my 2.0l,I thought it must be possible as the perfomance etc has to e monitored that way,I think there is alack of help on the system ,or maybe I haven`t found it. First time user maybe?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Yes you can run the engine while using Alfadiag.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Here I am Pat, hi-jacking your thread again!!!
I have just got in from work to discover my new ECUFIX cable on the doormat. I charged outside with my laptop and plugged it in to the 156 but the 'puter says it is waiting for a signal from the ECU. I have tried it with the key at MAR and with the engine running. I have selected each of the listed ECU from the drop down but to no avail. I'm just using the Demo Alfadiag at the mo as I wanted to give it a try before I spend my pennies but at this rate, I'll never get to play!!

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think I know your problem, I have just bought the same and the problem was, needed a driver for the interface cable, with the aid of NIALMORRAN , downloaded a driver and then still would not work , configured that the interface was com8 and wrote that in to a window and everything was fine!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Pat,

Are you connecting using the serial port (remember, 9 pins 2 lines), if so you should be ok, from what I 've read the usb type connections won't work because of driver issues.

It's com1 for the serial port on a laptop

cheers

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ordered the wrong cable to start with by mistake which was rs232 serial port apparently they aren`t as good anyway, so reordered usb and downloaded driver on previous reply and once downloaded I happened to see com 8 so put that ito a window on diag configure and hey presto! ?

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Idon`t have a rs232 serial port so it would have not worked anyway, I don`t think it is as good

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
you don't need a driver for the serial port cable, only the USB cable which actually emulates a serial port (i think) - just make sure the serial port is activated in both the BIOS and in windows and make sure you select the correct com port from within alfadiag.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have looked in the Device Manager it it says that the Com1 is working correctly. I have selected Com1 in the AlfaDiag but it still comes up with timeout error messages and waiting for ECU response etc. How do I find out which ECU I have? I've tried the ones that are on the drop-down but as I'm only using the Demo AlfaDiag, is there more to be had??
Thats when my 'puter skills roll over and go to sleep!!

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Owelly said:
How do I find out which ECU I have?
Which engine and when was it built?

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I unzipped the file/driver your talking about it said it was configured to com 8 ,I can`t find that again in device manager but try and remove the no.1 and replace with 8 after the word COM it worked with me, except now te connection gets lost alot it must be a power thing in the laptop which I don`t know how to sort.Any clues somebody?

T

·
0 Posts
Pat

Turn off any anti-virus and power management settings while you are using it. Mine's working with com4 on a ecufix usb interface. Didn't need to use any drivers either iirc.

Owelly

If you go to the alfa-diag FAQ page it lists where to find the engine types and which ecu type goes with it.

Don't know how stable the trial prog is as I didn't try it first.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes mine was ecufix as well bu would not work on any until I got a driver , strange that , owever I will try the pwer thing, was does iirc mean?

R

·
0 Posts
You still having bother AlfaPat? I had an issue with the first cable I bought where it wouldn't connect properly when the engine was running. I followed the advice on here and it's now working fine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well my demo version is up and running. I don't know how, but it is!
Next quezzy, as the AlfaDiag is licensed 'per machine', is it possible for me to download it to my PC that has Tinterweb access and then copy it to disc to transfer it to the Laptop that has no tinterweb and then use the license code to activate it?
I'm not totally sure I understand how all this license marlarky works!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts